08/22/2009 Grand River in Brantford

Good Morning!

Just uploaded some of the pics from my blackberry from my adventure fishing the grand on Saturday.

I got up at around 6am and made my trek out to Cockshut bridge. Finding the place I used to go as a child was a bit of a challenge, but I found it after much walking. You kind of have to go through the corn field and around the bend to the right of the bridge. There's a nice little hole where the water backwashes. Fish were jumping all day. It was crazy!.

Here is the crayfish that I caught, take a look at that HUGE one. It was more of a lobster :)

n644550191_8594959_1606685.jpg

Big sucker

5280_263489420191_644550191_8637949_6458135_n.jpg

Kiss Kiss!

5280_263489600191_644550191_8637950_4474705_n.jpg

First smallie of the day, caught on a crayfish

5280_263489820191_644550191_8637956_4119702_n.jpg

Smallie caught later in the day back at Wilkes

5280_263490535191_644550191_8637959_660799_n.jpg

Rock Bass took my lure!

n644550191_8637961_3395300.jpg

I got stuck in the torrential downpour in the morning. I had to climb up an 85 degree mud cliff with my gear, while it was pouring rain. I'll never do that again lol.

I caught about 7 or 8 fish at that spot in roughly 4 hours. After the rain stopped I decided to go check our Wilkes again. First 2 casts I caught 2 smallies on worms, but after that

it just dried up. Then the rain hit again and decided to call it a day.

I havent been out on the river for 6+ hours like that in a long time. It felt good and I hope I can do it again soon.

Next time I hope I can find some walleye or bigger fish.

Hey, maybe next time loose the barbs and the worms/crayfish and do it legal, that is the exceptional waters stretch you where fishing, no live/organic bait, no barbs, and C&R.....pretty straight forward if you ask me.

Derek

What are you talking about? That's not included in the exceptional waters.

Get your facts straight.

Edit: Here is the info Mr. Almighty clear cut.

Fishing regulations

Special fishing regulations have been put in place in part of this section of the Grand to protect the habitat of the species in this section of the river and to improve fishing opportunities.

The zone extends from 100 metres below the Highway 2 bridge in Paris to the Pedestrian Walkway and Services Bridge on the north boundary of Brant Conservation Area.

This a barbless hook, artificial lure and catch and release zone. This river section is closed to fishing from March 1 to the Friday before the last Saturday in April. Some areas are fish sanctuaries. For details see the regulations for Southwestern Ontario, Map A, Division 4 or visit the MNR website at www.mnr.gov.on.ca.

And if you clearly look at the map, neither of them fall under the special regulations.

Kthanks.

Edited by Ultyma316

Hey, maybe next time loose the barbs and the worms/crayfish and do it legal, that is the exceptional waters stretch you where fishing, no live/organic bait, no barbs, and C&R.....pretty straight forward if you ask me.

Derek

Welcome :asshat:

Thanks for the report!

Derek

One post in 2.5 years and you just had to be a flamer.

i just thought the name was funny.

hey how were you fishing those crayfish? noticed the slowdeath style hook. You just split shot the line?

I used them just like I do worms (which is probably totally wrong lol).

I use a split shot sinker about 5-6 inches from the hook, and just hook it through the tail/midsection.

Usually produces fish, unless the crayfish climbs under a rock at which point im screwed! lol.