Downrigging Questions

wiggler

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to downrigging this year and have some issues to iron out. I have a clamp on Big Jon that I use is smaller back lakes for splake and lake trout. I've tried it a number of times this year with not very good results. The majority of the time I can watch fish come up to the ball and then swim away.

Here are my questions:

1. I've used a 4lb fish shaped orange ball, an orange 8lb ball and a black 7lb ball. All three have had the same results as stated above.

Does the colour of the ball attract or deter the fish? Or does it really rely on the mood and type of fish you're after?

2. I've tried a lead from 5ft to 20ft with a variety of lures. What is the ideal length of lead from the release? Or again is this something the fish will tell you? I figured if the fish were rising to the ball I'd shorten the lead and they may strike.

3. What about the hum of the rigger cable? I haven't fished much past 30ft (lakes I'm on) and the hum is very little. Does the hum scare fish that may not be used to it? What about replacing it with a braid replacement?

Thanks for all answers!!!

The ball shouldn't matter really. I use red fish shaped ones and you always get a few that come to check them out, but don't bite. Leader length is hit and miss, you just have to keep switching it up until something works for you. The hum of the cable tells me I'm going the right speed. I like the hum.

For lakers/splake you want to be going fairly slow. Say 2-2.5mph. Vary your speed if you have them chasing and not hitting. I find if I run a cheater, that's the one that gets the lakers for some reason. My lure right off the ball hardly ever gets them.......but that's just me and the lakes I fish.

What are you running for lures? That might make a difference. Some days its all about colour, some days its speed, some days its the direction of your troll.......so many variables, its hard to get them all right all the time.

S.