Trailering 15' bass boat with 2006 Jetta?

MSBruno

Used to be there wasn't much that would stop my Dad.

On a particularly poor (basically unimproved) launch, he would unhitch the trailer and use a 2-pulley block-and-tackle to let the trailer down to the water, using the car as an anchor point. Same for retrieval. Recalling the weight of the boat and the trailer, I'm surprised that muscle-power alone could bridge the gap for the distance the car couldn't go, but it worked fine.

I'd have to ask him to find out for sure but I think one of those launches, seems to me it was at Laronde Creek (Nipissing access), the "gap" would have been upwards of 30 feet, and fairly steep. With my Mom and I chocking the trailer wheels, and Dad on the b&t, I don't recall it being all that hard, just a little time-consuming.

Edited by Jocko

you will need somebody to either sit above the front wheel well or to push down on it while you are pulling the boat out so you can get traction, especially if the ramp is wet.

Sounds like a good way to get your :asshat: runover :rolleyes:

... and that would be a Boat Launch Bozo right there!!! :lol:

Jocko Posted Today, 11:36 AM

Used to be there wasn't much that would stop my Dad.

On a particularly poor (basically unimproved) launch, he would unhitch the trailer and use a 2-pulley block-and-tackle to let the trailer down to the water, using the car as an anchor point. Same for retrieval. Recalling the weight of the boat and the trailer, I'm surprised that muscle-power alone could bridge the gap for the distance the car couldn't go, but it worked fine.

I'd have to ask him to find out for sure but I think one of those launches, seems to me it was at Laronde Creek (Nipissing access), the "gap" would have been upwards of 30 feet, and fairly steep. With my Mom and I chocking the trailer wheels, and Dad on the b&t, I don't recall it being all that hard, just a little time-consuming.

We have 4WD's for that now. B)

Edited by GCD

We have 4WD's for that now. B)

Yeah, "pioneering days" for sure. :)

Also called making do with what ya got.

An INCO worker of the day, raising a family, couldn't afford to go top-drawer. So you improvised or did without.

Dad improvised. :)