Red Cedar Lake or Temagami

wanda.wilson

Our family is heading to Red Cedar Lake or Temagami Lake Aug 7-17. We are planning on camping on crown land. We have done this ofter around the French and Pickerel Rivers, but want to try something different. Any input as to the pros and cons of both these lakes would be appreciated. Which of the two would have the least amount of boat traffic? Is one better than the other for camp sites? Is there ever a problem finding somewhere to camp? We have a large tent and didn't know if spacing is an issue. Also, which place is more successful for fishing. Any other tips or hot fishing areas for these lakes would be appreciated.

They're both brutal fisheries that can at times give ya a great day.

Go to Temagami. There's no one up there this year as the American's are broke and not traveling, and the Torontonians think fishing in the north is a trip to Barrie.

(I got this inside info ya know)

Both lakes are nice and scenic with lots of camping.

Yup American numbers are really down on LT this year. Some lodges are cutting weekly rates quiite a bit for the americans (and canadians). There's a lake Temagami campsite map that will show all the maintained sites and the portgae routes. Quite easy to do a nice big loop of the lake. Either start in town or drive the access road to the Hub. There's a camping store in town that has all the maps. Sorry the name escapes me this morning

Temagami Lake is quite large, we are looking for a nice quiet bay to camp in. We will pick up maps when we get in the area. Is there a section of the lake that is more quiet than others. Do you know of any really good crown land sites. Just getting excited, and want to do as much planning now, so we can just enjoy when we get there. Also, other than the public launch in temagami, is there anywhere else to launch. Do we pay for parking at the public launch. Does anyone know if there is a launch into the south end of Temagami.

Launch in town beside the hatchery is free. Parking over behind the train station for truck/trailer is free. You can also launch at Strathcona Landing and park there (it's at the end of Temagami Marine Rd). Also can launch in the hub at the end of the Lake Temagami access road. But be prepared to park on the side of the road about a mile from the launch and be sure to have a couple gallons of water in the trunk to clean the road dust off the windshield when you return.

What are you taking for a boat? There are sections of the lake that can get mean with the wind in the right direction. I've been thru 8 footers in the NE arm where I could only do 8MPH with my 22 ' Lund.

We are not sure if we should go Temagami or Red Cedar Lake, still undecided. We have a 18ft alum with 80hp mercury motor. I didn't realize it could get that rough in the winds. I think that Red Cedar is similar to Temagami only smaller. I just really want to get my share of picturest views. I am hoping that both offer a similar landscape. We are mainly looking for a quiet bay to set up for 10days. We have a float that we ancor in the water for the kids to play with. Hoping for not much boat traffic and great fishing. I hope I'm not expecting too much, lol.

Edited by wilsonfamily

I've fished Temagami some and have found the bass fishing very good, the pickerel fishing tough unless you go in very low light conditions, northerns aren't as plentiful as in other lakes but with the trout forage there are some dandies. I'd go for the southern arm. It gets you away from the most crowded areas and gives you good access into Cross Lake. If the wind blows from the north Temagami can get pretty uncomfortable to fish so Cross gives you options.There is a campsite on Temagami just before you get to Cross lake.

Get the shoal map for Temagami but none available for Cross. I'd rate the hydrographic maps at best fair but they are what you can get. Yep parking at the Hub can be a problem. It will be dusty and could be crowded although I have always been lucky. With its issues it still saves a pretty long boat ride. I think it is like 17 miles by road from town to the Hub. There is a Marina with parking just before the Northest Arm meets the hub but they charge.

Watch for rocks!!!!!