Fishing in Twelwe Mile Bay, off Georgian Bay

lunders

I'm just back from a week at a rental cottage on Twelwe Mile Bay. Unfortunately my boat wasn't cooperating at all times, so I didn't get around as much as I was hoping for.

But anyways, we caught a few smallmouths, perch and panfish. And the one in the photo as well. Can anyone tell me what it is? Is it a White perch? Never caught one like this before. Are they common? By the way, I was fishing with worm and floater at the time.

Thanks in advance!

DSC_4610.jpg

Guest gbfisher

I know of one person who has tried them and said they were not to bad as table fare. No worries of tossing it back. You couldnt make a dent in the population if you tried.

What's extraordinary about white perch? I remember hating how annoying they were when I fished Cootes Paradise in Hamilton as a kid. And still find them a nuisance when I fish yellow perch here in the spring.

Guest gbfisher

You might feel differently when you start catching Gobies along with those White Perch. :unsure:

No appreciation taken.... :huh:

There's lots of other fish to target in that part of the bay. They don't call it 12 mile for nothing. ;) A couple life times of fishing to do in there.

You might feel differently when you start catching Gobies along with those White Perch. :unsure:

There's lots of other fish to target in that part of the bay. They don't call it 12 mile for nothing. ;) A couple life times of fishing to do in there.

I know, I know. Have been catching lots of gobies around the thousand islands/St. Lawrence river. All invasive species are a pain...

Georgian Bay Smallies like Gobies ;)

I've never caught a white perch at the cottage (Southern Georgian Bay)

Guest gbfisher

Pickerel love em as well. Lots of fish eat them. Doesn't make them any more desirable.

Southern Georgian Bay has the most Gobies and White Perch.

Pickerel love em as well. Lots of fish eat them. Doesn't make them any more desirable.

Southern Georgian Bay has the most Gobies and White Perch.

tell me about it. Guess I havent got white perch before because I dont really use worms by weeds.

It s indeed a White Perch... which aren't really Perch at all, they're a Temperate Bass kin to White (or Silver) Bass... and Saltwater Striped Bass.

They are of the Morone family, Morone Americana to be exact.

... and they're pretty good table fare!!!