One last boat buying question (I swear)

sneak_e_pete

So I am finally going to buy a boat tomorrow morning. I will post pics once I get it. I need some more help though. The dealer said he would throw in a Humminbird Fish Finder, however I know it will be base. I want a decent unit, nothing crazy, but I would love a unit with GPS and am O.K. to pay him a little extra to get it. I know nothing about sonar and am needing some input on a decent model to get. I am not on the water 200 days a year, I am a weekend (at best). Thanks in advance.

I would have him throw it in but not install it; save it for a bow mounted sonar or sell it. Pick the unit you want and install it yourself. That way you get to drill where you want to. So many of these installs are without serious thought. Example; why drill through the transom into plywood below the waterline if you don't have to? You will also get to decide where the head unit is going to live. You may want to mount a Ram or Johnny Ray quick release for the head unit now and only have to drill those holes. When/if you upgrade sonar, you don't have to drill new holes.