How much do I need to spend on a boat?

sneak_e_pete

Hi all, looking for some information/advice on possibly buying a new boat. I currently have a 12ft. aluminum and want to upgrade to something bigger, more stable and comfortable and that I can take my 2 boys out on (when they get older). My dream boat is $20,000, and that's not going to happen anytime soon, but I am wondering how much I have to spend to get something better. Obviously I have to go used, and am hoping to get something for $5,000 tops. I am nervous about going used because I don't know what to look for and I really need something that will be in good shape, is reliable and will last me for several years (I am hoping 10 years).

My ideal boat is:

16 ft. aluminum with enough horsepower to move along nicely (my current boat only has an old 6hp and doesn't even get up on plane). I would like something without bench seats (or something that is at least stable enough for me to build a casting platform on) because I want to be able to move around in the boat. I don't care about bells and whistles, don't need a livewell (although if it had one, that's cool).

How much do you think I have to spend to find this? Any suggestions from the seasoned boat owners on what type of boat?

Thanks in advance for your help.

To answer the question ...i would say ...as much as your wife will let ya ...otherwise you would be buying new....check out the classified section and have a gander at the boats available ...ive got one in there ...but its a little out of your price range unless you have a really awsome wife... :D

i think there is one recently put in at the price range you are looking for ...

Good Luck

Keep an eye on Kijiji.

Boats in that price range come up all the time.

Pick the City closest to you and search within the k.m. range you are comfortable driving to and search $1-$5000. That will bring up a lot of hits, but weed through them and I'm sure you will find something.

Check Kijiji often - good deals are litterally gone in minutes.

If you see a boat you like, act on it quickly, but don't lose your head. ALWAYS water test, ALWAYS do a compression test and ALWAYS check the lower unit for water. You can get the gear cheap at CTC to do the compression test, $50 of insurance and it is fairly easy to do.

If you want 16ft I wouldn't go with less than a 40 or 50 hp. You will be very disappointed if you do. Get the newest rig you can find. There are boats out there that are older hull's and newer motors. I would be in the market for one of those. Good deals don't last long so do not hesitate to go look at a boat when you see something good.