Fishing Near Thessalon - Lake Huron, north channel

joek

Hello,

I am going to a friend house that is on the north channel of Lake Huron, near Thessalon, East of Sult ste Marie. The house is right on the big lake. Has anyone fishing this general area? This is big water, but appears to have lots of islands and bay roun that area, with the big islands out in the lake. I assume I can fish the shores of the big lake, and catch some pike or bass? I was hoping the shorline of the big lake was kinda like a small canadian lake for pike?

There is also a small like called Cranberry lake in this area that I will have access to. Probably nobody heard of it, but if so, does it have pike? It is very close to Basswood lake, and all of this is near the a Thessalon Indian Reserve.

Well let me know if you can help. This is the first time I am going to canada not for the sole purpose of fishing, but I do want to fish and the big lake area has me stumped.

Joe K.

Hello,

I am going to a friend house that is on the north channel of Lake Huron, near Thessalon, East of Sult ste Marie. The house is right on the big lake. Has anyone fishing this general area? This is big water, but appears to have lots of islands and bay roun that area, with the big islands out in the lake. I assume I can fish the shores of the big lake, and catch some pike or bass? I was hoping the shorline of the big lake was kinda like a small canadian lake for pike?

There is also a small like called Cranberry lake in this area that I will have access to. Probably nobody heard of it, but if so, does it have pike? It is very close to Basswood lake, and all of this is near the a Thessalon Indian Reserve.

Well let me know if you can help. This is the first time I am going to canada not for the sole purpose of fishing, but I do want to fish and the big lake area has me stumped.

Joe K.

joe, i fished big basswood a couple summers ago for a week.. did well with the smallies, most taken on mepps black fury's

mike

Thank you. I am starting to think that I should take my boat now. I was just going to mess around on the shores with my 6 year son(of whom we fish all the time), but now with these smaller lakes around, maybe I will drag my boat on this Family vacation. Going for Pittsburgh to this place is a hull though.

Can you fish from the banks on big basswood?

i'm unsure of the big water but in a book i got it says "Birch, Brownlee, Cranberry and Little Basswood lakes- are a quartet of lakes found directly southwest of Basswood lake. All four lakes offer hectic northern pike fishing at times for small to average sized fish. Little basswood lake also supports smallmouth bass." also if you head about 20min up highway 129 theres a decent sized lake called tunnel lake, theres pike, walleye, and smallies in there, it could also be another option for you. i really suggest bringing your boat. and rapala x-raps are money for pike. You will be pretty much in the heart of awesome ontario fishing you just have to head a little north, even north east. tons of inland lakes filled with fish. I suggest stop at Canadian tire or walmart and pick up a backroad map book, it shows all the backroads and lakes and gives details about lakes.

hope this helps!

Edited by worm dangler

I'm not sure what size boat you have, or how long you are going to stay, but I'm pretty sure you will be sorry if you don't bring the boat. And, if you bring the wife, and she doesn't fish, kiss her goodbye when you get here :D

Thank you guys very much. Nothing on the big lake, so I will concentrate on the smaller ones. I go to canada every year somewhere fishing for a week with the boys. This time we are visiting a friend and the wife is coming. We have a nice place right on the small cranberry lake. If I take the boat, I will be gone fishing with my boy the whole week and I wont visit and hang out with the friend we are visiting or the wife. If I only fish from the boat for say 2 of the days, then its not worth dragging the boat all the way. What to do??? Maybe I can rent a boat at one of those lake for day. Seems my frined has a little canoe but I am not comfortable with my 6 year old on that. Ahh what to do.

Maybe I will take blow up boat, or stick to fishing from the banks a bit for a few pike. Maybe the best thing is to just scout the area and come back for just fishing next time!

Thanks for the advice, I should have known there were going to be fish in those even smaller lakes.

If you're looking for shore fishing, Thessalon River has specks, rainbow and brown trout. The big water has everything you can think to catch in northern fresh water. The smaller lakes that have been mentioned have all that is mentioned and more. Bring your boat and do 4 days of fishing. You won't be sorry.