electronics problem

rob v

My new lowrance LMS525 is hooked up and so far working well. My problem is - sometimes when I start my engine (115Hp mercury optimax) the lowrance shuts off. Not always - but about 50% of the time. I have the unit hooked up via the fuse panel in the consol. I notice the voltmeter moves very low when I crank the motor. Is this a sign that my cranking battery is getting bad ? I don't notice any problem with the motor cranking or starting - it seems to turn over well. And I keep both my batteries (trolling motor deep cycle and my cranking battery) charged using my on board charger.

Any suggestions/input from those in the know would be appreciated. thx.

Guest skeeter99
My new lowrance LMS525 is hooked up and so far working well. My problem is - sometimes when I start my engine (115Hp mercury optimax) the lowrance shuts off. Not always - but about 50% of the time. I have the unit hooked up via the fuse panel in the consol. I notice the voltmeter moves very low when I crank the motor. Is this a sign that my cranking battery is getting bad ? I don't notice any problem with the motor cranking or starting - it seems to turn over well. And I keep both my batteries (trolling motor deep cycle and my cranking battery) charged using my on board charger.

Any suggestions/input from those in the know would be appreciated. thx.

sounds like your battery

my lowrance units blink when I turn the engine on but does not turn off

even though you have a on board charger the cranking battery may be sulphating(on it way out) ,crack plate inside battery or the bank on the charger is not working right on the on board charger

I run 2 fishfinders and a gps(handheld) all on my cranking battery and they never turn off when cranking just to give you a idea

If you don't have a multi-meter, get one. It's practically impossible to hunt down electric faults without one.

It does sound like your battery is starting to go bad and the voltage is dropping below the Lowrance operating specs when under load, but until you take a voltage reading off the battery there's no way to be sure. At rest the battery should be somewhere north of 12v, but under 14v. When cranked it will drop but shouldn't go very far under 10v, the online manual for your fishfinder gives an operating voltage of 10v-17v. If the battery voltage is dropping below 10v when cranked, there's your problem, new battery.

http://primus.lowrance.com/support/resultD...Type=5000#Goto7