Kayaking the Bog

jediangler

Took my first kayak trip to Scugog today. I've fished the Bog before with my Sportspal and in a friend's big Lund. I figured today's conditions would be good enough for my first yak attempt. Tried a section of the lake I have never fished and launched at 12:30pm. Would have liked to get out earlier but had to take the little one to school first. Wind was light and I could see some nasty weather off in the distance. Around 2pm I began to hear thunder but the clouds still looked far from my location. Followed brother Joonmoon's directions to a good panfish spot where I hoped to get into some crappie. Caught a WGSF and two big bluegill and then the wind changed direction and picked up speed. Lucky for me it was blowing back to where I had launched from. I put on a big Mepps giant killer bucktail and started casting for muskies while I drifted. Just before 3pm I hooked this guy.

bog18.jpg

It was 18" long and much lighter in colour than the one I caught at Sturgeon a couple of weeks ago. During two musky outings this year I've caught two muskies and two walleyes on big bucktails.

bogeye1.jpg

Got this pic just before he took off during the release. Also found a clown x-rap snagged on some weeds right below the surface. Still had a leader attached and must have been lost recently as the hooks were still in perfect condition. BONUS! Called it a day at 3:30pm, knowing I would see some heavy traffic on the highway driving home. Never did see any rain until about halfway between Milton and Guelph on my way home. Only saw one other boat and it was so far off I could barely see it. That's the beauty of weekday outings on a lake like Scugog. Next time I'll find those muskies :angry: .

Finally I get on to respond after repeatedly trying and being booted or the infamous Page Not Found crud.

Anyway nice eye Bro how did ya like the spot? Gotta luv the weekdays with little to no boat traffic. Too bad bout the lack of slime but I'm sure you'll git em soon. Hope we get em this weekend while eveyone else is Bass fishin. B)

Ahhhh... I wanted to get out to Scugog so bad today!!! But the downpour I witnessed in the city along with fierce winds kept me at home.

Nice eye!

Where did you launch from?

I plan to hit Scugog early saturday morning with my girlfriend in the sportspal.... not sure if we're gonna hit Goreski's or Port Perry.

I might even head up to Omemee pond as it's a nice small water body to explore.

Great pics...love the release shot.

Amazing photography considering you're the one shooting and in a kayak too!

Thanks all. Good luck joonmoon and frozen-fire on your bass opener trips. I likely will wait and go during the week sometime. I found the spot you told me about joon, but it was a bit of a paddle from the launch. There were some rocks as big as volkswagens in there.