salmon fishing on lake ontario

hello to all,

i was told the hot spot to fish for salmon was out on lake ontario, about a mile off shore from bronte harbour. when we got there , we knew we were in the right spot because there was about 20 other boats in a square Km. as well , once we got to this area, the fish finder started to read hundreds of fish, every where in the area. the fish were ranging any where from 30 ft to 175 ft. we were in depts of 180ft.

Now heres my question. does any one know where in depts, at this time of year, will the salmon be haning out? i know it has to do with the water temperature, but i dont have anything to read the different depts temps.

i had my one line set to about 50 ft down, the other around 30 ft. i ended up landing a 2.5lbs rainbow, but no luck all day with the salmon. we were on the water by 6 am, so im pretty sure it wasnt the time of day that was skunking us.

if theres any one who can help me, that would be great! you all help so much on here, thanks to every one once again!!!

What kind of baits were you running? This time of year the kings can be pretty much anywhere in water column. Make sure you have a variety of stuff down, and once something starts working switch some other rods over to that. Also pay close attention to what speed you caught the fish at.

i was using spoons of all different sizes and colours, darks, lights flashy ones, red devils..... i had them on dipsy divers.... im not sure if it was just a bad day, it was a new moon, dont know if that means anything, but there wasnt much action any where else on the water that day! will try again this weekend! hope i have a few tips by then.

Thank you

June is a tough month for kings, because as mentioned the lake hasn't really stratified with a definite thermocline yet. That means they can be scattered anywhere from 40' to hugging bottom in 180'.

Find baitfish balls and they'll probably be something around it. Troll in 'S' wiggles to see what speed they want (inside rod gets bit, go slower; outside rod troll faster).

I was out last Sunday morning.

Hits on a variety of baits and depths.

Baits were hit anywhere from 60 to 115 ft. down.

Variety of spoons, Dodger & fly, some off riggers, some off dipseys, some off leadcore.

Seems like the fish are very deep for this time of year.

The water temps. are really cold down there, but that's where they're hiding.