Changing Sonars

Scott S

Can I use the same transducer if I upgrade my sonar with the same brand or do I have to replace everything, and if i do how hard is it to replace the tranducer line when it was put on buy the boat manufacture. Is there any tricks to fishing the line through, everything is burried with the side console wires. Any info please :dunno:

Thanks Scooter

Anyone answering this would need a lot more info especially what sonar unit have to what sonar unit you are going to. Usually the age can determine that pretty quick but again what unit to you have and what are you replacing it with.

Same pretty much with how much work it can be to run the transducer wire through. One thing you can do is cut the old transducer cable at the transducer end and tie it to the plug end of the new transducer cable and then pull it through while you are pulling out the old cable. Sound easy but you first have to see if the old cable is tied down along the way and of course cut all ties before pulling through.

Scooter,

If you have a Lowrance you can go to the website and there will be a cross reference so you can see if the current transducer is compatible with your new unit. I would imagine other mfgrs. have a similar feature on their website but if they don't just call their customer service. It's hard to say how difficult it might be to add a new transducer without knowing your set-up but most times it's pretty simple to re-route a new transducer wire. If the transducer is mounted on the starboard keel you're really just running it from there up the starboard side and to your console. Probably just cutting a few wire ties to take out the existing one, running your new one, and replacing the wire ties. Most boats have removable panels, and so if it were done once it can be done again.