Trailer Hub & repacking

northshore

Hey, just wondering if anyone can help me out..

I have an old homemade trailer, i buy new bearings and repack every 1-2 years,

depending on wear. I have a somewhat faulty hub, the grease seal doesn't sit properly into

the hub base (the hub is slightly warped from age) - and the bearings always go on this hub

prematurely - i have to constantly keep my eye on it and guess when it's going to go. (since

the grease seal doesn't sit perfectly snug - water gets in and eventually the bearings fail).

I want to buy a new hubs - but don't know what model to buy. Since it's a homemade

trailer using an old car axle.

Here are the bearing measurements, hub specs - maybe someone can help?

4 bolt hub (~3 in apart), front bearing LM12749 (ID 0.8653"), back bearing L68149 (ID 1 3/8"), Grease Seal 19221

Hey, just wondering if anyone can help me out..

I have an old homemade trailer, i buy new bearings and repack every 1-2 years,

depending on wear. I have a somewhat faulty hub, the grease seal doesn't sit properly into

the hub base (the hub is slightly warped from age) - and the bearings always go on this hub

prematurely - i have to constantly keep my eye on it and guess when it's going to go. (since

the grease seal doesn't sit perfectly snug - water gets in and eventually the bearings fail).

I want to buy a new hubs - but don't know what model to buy. Since it's a homemade

trailer using an old car axle.

Here are the bearing measurements, hub specs - maybe someone can help?

4 bolt hub (~3 in apart), front bearing LM12749 (ID 0.8653"), back bearing L68149 (ID 1 3/8"), Grease Seal 19221

Take one of your old hubs into the parts dept of a marine dealer and see if they can match it.

Hubs are usually classed by the diameter of the spindle they fit on, with 1" being the most common I believe.

yes, unfortunately i have a non-standard spindle for this trailer - it's an old homemade job - it's not a simple 1" diameter spindle - it requires 2 different bearings for the hub to seat properly - anyway - i maybe able to salvage the hub - if i replace the bearing races - anyone know where i can buy the race for the LM12749 bearing? i'll check Napa on Monday... Keep fish'in

nope when i buy my bearings they don't usually come with the bearing race/cup. I bought them at Can tire tho... just a thank-you to everyone's suggestions... made a few calls this morning and "Toronto Belt and Bearing" had exactly what i needed.. 2 thumbs up to these guys :thumbsup_anim:

now i have to put everything back together again, so me and humpty dumpty can go fishing again..

Edited by northshore