Scugog evening report

frozen-fire

So... decided to actually try the area around Goreski's. I had to pay $10 to unload a canoe. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be going back unless I actually need the ramp. I could've unloaded anywhere...but time was a concern and I didn't know the area well...for parking and whatnot.

Fishing started off HOT... with rockbass that is... probably caught about 30 big rockies. Water was really murky and there was a pretty good chop to it too.

What I found really weird was all this wood that was submerged around that area. I kept getting snagged and brought up lots of wood with many mussels attached to them. This normal? When I got to the shoreline (reeds) I saw that the substrate was covered in mussels.

Not something I would've expected from Scugog.

Got into a couple nice crappie

crappie.jpg

crappie2.jpg

My friend (one who joins me on Scugog all the time) catches the first walleye... I actually think it's the smallest eye I've ever seen!

walleye.jpg

Before ending the night, I land a nicer one.

walleye2.jpg

walleye3.jpg

sunset.jpg

Guest skeeter99

you were fishing what the bass guys call goreski bank

full of wood and deep pockets under the reeds there is actually a small pond in there about in the middle between the goreski sign and the white boathouse, you could get in with a canoe

at night the walleye come in to feed on that bank have done really well there in the past casting right up the the reeds in the pitch dark with the mosqitoes eating you alive

the zebra mussels are normal that is why the water is so clear now on the bog, except right now cause all of the wind

you were fishing what the bass guys call goreski bank

full of wood and deep pockets under the reeds there is actually a small pond in there about in the middle between the goreski sign and the white boathouse, you could get in with a canoe

at night the walleye come in to feed on that bank have done really well there in the past casting right up the the reeds in the pitch dark with the mosqitoes eating you alive

the zebra mussels are normal that is why the water is so clear now on the bog, except right now cause all of the wind

Great info here! Thanks skeeter!

Yes, there were definitely deep spots under the reeds. I expected we would get into some accidental OOS bass, but surprisingly, only had one... which is a good thing of course.

Those pockets were stacked with rock bass. Ridiculous how many there were.

When we trolled along the reeds at night, the mosquitoes were insane. You're right about that. Even with the wind, they still managed to buzz around my face and crawl up my pants.

good report

how was the lake it self? a friend and i were going to give it a try but ended up heading to the Nonquon.. (right across from where you were pretty much) and the rock bass were on fire haha we had tons of fun catching them on almost anything. (untill 1 little musky came along and snapped me off.. after that we tried a few more spots.. and the rock bass continued. as well we caugh a crappie and a walleye around 1lb

Edited by fish-miester

good report

how was the lake it self? a friend and i were going to give it a try but ended up heading to the Nonquon.. (right across from where you were pretty much) and the rock bass were on fire haha we had tons of fun catching them on almost anything. (untill 1 little musky came along and snapped me off.. after that we tried a few more spots.. and the rock bass continued. as well we caugh a crappie and a walleye around 1lb

How is the nonquon?

Is it more sheltered from the wind?

Rock bass seemed to be on fire all over the lake!

yeah the river was much more sheltered, i run a 14' tin with a 9.9 and trolling motor etc.. it does the job but I'd hate to have it out in the "hurricane water" haha as well there is 1 decent launch good for "beach launching you boat" that has very little traffic along the river.. tho there is no dock..but there is places to park.. and then there is also an even smaller launch perfect for canoes and small john boats.. which is even less busy ! (im sure there is more then just thees two launches.. tho with a canoe you can launch pretty well anywhere!