Trailer tires ? 12" rims

Lunker777

Hey everyone

Just getting ready to buy some new tires for the boat trailer as the ones on there are ready to pop any day now hahah They are so badly dry rotted im surprised they havent pop just sittin in the drive way !

Any how... at the moment the tires are a 4.8x12 on a 5 bolt pattern (4.5" spacing I believe)

I want to step up the size of the tire because I want to be able to travel a fair distance with it. Plus all the water is a good 15-20 min drive from home aswell.

I found some 5.3x12's for a good price..$70 rim and tire. But will those be big enough if I wanted to go up north.... say 6-7 hour drive ? :dunno:

If you were replacing your wheels and upgrading... what would you go with ?

I'd like to go with some yokohomas on 20" rims :w00t: hahah but I think thats a little outta the budget :wallbash:

Thanks

any tires that fit will be good...mine are the small ones and i have been using them for near 20 years...they need to be replaced and the replacements are the same tiny ones and they r in the garage....and i travel huge distances on them...truely u want the biggest ones u can fit for clearance and less rotation

When I made my move to the NWT I brought my first load of stuff out with my 4X8 Casnadian Tire trailer with small tires 8" I think.

I had the trailer heavily loaded and had to drive 5500kms. I made sure to have 2 spares just in case. I had a blow out in Peace river Alberta (about 4500kms into the trip) and had a slow leak in the other overnight after I reached my destination.

I would go with the wider tires if they will fit without hitting the fenders, but you should be fine which ever you get.

Make sure you have a good spare and look after bearing maintenance.

The 530x12's should be perfect.

Tires depend on ur weight. The 530's will haul more weight obviously.

If ur haulin a 16' or less, u will have more than enough support.

I believe the 530 12's are rated for 840lb per tire with a "B" load rating...

The ST 145 R12 tires are rated for 1220lb per tire with a "D" load rating

So it all depends on ur cargo/trailer on what will work best for you.

and yes, bearing maintenance is MOST important...

Edited by Nippissinger

Hey everyone

Just getting ready to buy some new tires for the boat trailer as the ones on there are ready to pop any day now hahah They are so badly dry rotted im surprised they havent pop just sittin in the drive way !

Any how... at the moment the tires are a 4.8x12 on a 5 bolt pattern (4.5" spacing I believe)

I want to step up the size of the tire because I want to be able to travel a fair distance with it. Plus all the water is a good 15-20 min drive from home aswell.

I found some 5.3x12's for a good price..$70 rim and tire. But will those be big enough if I wanted to go up north.... say 6-7 hour drive ? :dunno:

If you were replacing your wheels and upgrading... what would you go with ?

I'd like to go with some yokohomas on 20" rims :w00t: hahah but I think thats a little outta the budget :wallbash:

Thanks

What you have now are perfectly fine, don't waste your money on the 5.3's, spend it on fishing gear and beer.

Just get 'er on the road and go.

What you have now are perfectly fine, don't waste your money on the 5.3's, spend it on fishing gear and beer.

Just get 'er on the road and go.

hahaha there is always room in the budget for beer ! Fishing gear... well thats a different story !

I have found that 4.8x12 and 5.3x12 are around the same price so Im not gaining any more$$ by sticking with the 4.8s

hahaha there is always room in the budget for beer ! Fishing gear... well thats a different story !

I have found that 4.8x12 and 5.3x12 are around the same price so Im not gaining any more$$ by sticking with the 4.8s

Oh sorry, I misread.

I have 4.8's on mine as well, but only a 4 bolt pattern.