Gar Pike

laszlo

I saw 1 big Gar Pike (about 8lbs) with 5 smaller ones swimming directly under

it and following it all over. Was the large one a female and the smallers ones

males???

Is it too late for spawning???

I don't know too much about these fish but man they're beautiful.

They kept surfacing and exposing their snouts.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Edited by laszlo

They should be in spawning mode right about now, which is exactly what you saw. The larger one was a female and the smaller ones were males. Usually lasts about 3 days, depending on the area. Don't expect to catch them for awhile when this is going on. I've noticed in most lakes that the gar will come up shallow to spawn, then disappear for a few weeks until the water warms up enough for them to invade the shallows again. This is when the fun begins. July and August are the best months for fishing them, but some years mid to late June can be hot depending on the weather.

When they come to the surface and expose their snouts, they are actually taking a breath of air. Gar have a modified lung which allows them to live in very shallow, stagnant water, but during open water season, they will gulp air readily regardless of water conditions.

They should be in spawning mode right about now, which is exactly what you saw. The larger one was a female and the smaller ones were males. Usually lasts about 3 days, depending on the area. Don't expect to catch them for awhile when this is going on. I've noticed in most lakes that the gar will come up shallow to spawn, then disappear for a few weeks until the water warms up enough for them to invade the shallows again. This is when the fun begins. July and August are the best months for fishing them, but some years mid to late June can be hot depending on the weather.

When they come to the surface and expose their snouts, they are actually taking a breath of air. Gar have a modified lung which allows them to live in very shallow, stagnant water, but during open water season, they will gulp air readily regardless of water conditions.

Thanks for the info. I did some reading last night as well to find out that they can spawn as late as mid June sometimes. I'm going to try and fish

for them mid summer. Can't wait! From what I read getting a hook set can be hard.