Knee injuries, surgery etc

Mattitude

Hey all. I had a bit of an accident the other day and twisted up my knee pretty bad. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with knee injuries. I did some searches and I think I may have done something to the ACL. Won't find out until possibly tomorrow but Xray at the hospital came up negative for anything broken. Just gotta see if my Dr can see me soon. Totally unable to walk and the pain is crazy if I just slightly move it a certain way.

My knee popped out once about four years ago and it almost went all the way around to the back of my leg. My leg kept trying to straighten itself out which was insanly painfull other then that I think the shock of it happening took away most of the pain. I had to call my own house to get help as I was in the basement and everyone was outside. I was calling for help for a good 3 minutes in pain.

here is a picture I snapped of it wanting for the ambulance,

Figure i wont post the image and just give the link so i dont gross alot of people and keep the thread safe for work use

http://tinypic.com/r/33lz7o4/5

Edited by Mattones

You had better hope and pray it isn't the ACL because if it is, it'll probably alter your life.....it did mine. Depending on your age reconstructive surgery is the only way to repair it otherwise you'll have to wear a large, metal brace most of the time....not fun. The surgery option requires extensive rehabilitation often taking up to a year.

An ACL is pretty hard to tear and is usually caused by some sort of accident or while playing sports like football, soccer, skying, etc.. When an ACL tears completely you usually hear/feel a pop/snap, did you get that? Also, when it lets go the knee usually comes apart, that is, the tibia (shin bone) moves forward relative to the femur (thigh bone) followed by shearing of the cartilage and very intense pain. If not, then you probably have something else like a torn cartilage/meniscus. The best way to verify if you have a torn ACL is with an MRI and/or arthroscopic surgery (a scope).

Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I don't remember hearing a pop or a snap but it all happened so fast so I really don't know. All I can say is the pain is bad and walking is near impossible. Dr can't see me today but hopefully tomorrow so it's another day of waiting.