Knot for fly line to leader?

Joeytier

I've been trying to find online tutorials for fly line to leader knots, but the only one I've been able to find is the nail knot. This is fine, except the only thing I can think of that would work well for it is bobber stops, which I don't currently have. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

double sided barrel is what i use and have never been broken off at the knot before ...but if your worried about it ...you can do the improved clinch double sided ( same as the barrel but the tail comes back up into the top loop ) ive lost too many fish trusting the courtland shrink wrap so i dont ever bother with it anymore something about heating up a fishing line doesnt make sence to me

I use two methods to connect my leader to the fly line.

1. For floating lines I splice in the leader using a needle knot into the fly line. As the leader gets cut back by adding or subtracting tippet material, I'll just splice a new leader to the last 3 ft or so of the original leader. Eventually after a couple seasons the butt of the oriiginal leader will get too short to splice a new leader. I just cut off the last 1/2 inch of fly line and repeat the proceedure.

2. For sink tip and sinking line I make a small loop by folding back the fly line and using fly tying thread make a neat small wrap over the doubled line. Flexi cement the wrap and I'm done. I use sinking leaders that have a factory loop and use a loop to loop connection. Very easy to change leaders and configurations that way.

muddler