Ice out splake - what baits/techniques do you use?

jat

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

open water splakin' can be pretty tough compared to the winter months. trolling/casting small spoons are an excellent starting point.

if you can get your hands on some small white tubes of 2 or 2.5 inches in length i've heard they are the ticket for open water splakin. i myself seldom fish them in open water.

I love ice-out splake and speck fishing: some of the best fishing of the year. I have great luck with little Cleos, mostly in a 5 of diamonds pattern. If I were tieing something on before hitting the water, that would be it. BUT, I make sure I have a selection of spoons: not just colours, but shape and size as well. Some days, size is more important than colour. Last spring we were on a small splake lake that produces good-sized fish. It didn't matter what colour spoon you threw, as long as it was a 1/3 oz Cleo. I tried downsizing with no luck. I threw every colour of that size I had and caught fish on it. Small countdown raps are my other favourite.

I don't troll a lot for splake, but fish them more like brookies: lots of casting to shoreline structure, downed trees, steep dropoffs and across points.

Well i used to fish splake at ice out at the mouth of the Kagawong River. Used to be very good there but have not done it for ages, like the above posters i generally just threw some spoons. I also had a bit of luck with the old Canadian Wrigger. Look for fast water depth changes, they seem to be the preferred hideout. best of luck.