Handhelp GPS and hidden costs

tbayboy

Hi everyone, I've been reading reviews and posts here and checking prices on a few handheld GPS units but I'm getting confused with all the map chips and what not. It seems that a lot of the fine members here have these devices so I'm hopefully I can get a real world final answer on this so here goes. First off, I'm currently thinking of the Garmin 76CSx which seems to have all the features I want. My goal is a device that I can use on the water, while camping, hiking and also on the roads to find my way. Given that the 76CSx seems to have it covered:

1) water proof and floats (good for clumsy oafs like me)

2) expandable memory (lots of map options)

3) turn by turn direction (yeah there's better direction ones with spoken text but you can't have it all I guess)

But here's the problem, it doesn't come with any maps and I have no idea what maps I need, where to get them or how much they're gonna cost me. From what I'm seeing it looks like I could easily drop $600 on a few maps! I'm hoping that I'm misunderstanding some of this so please let me know what maps you all find most important and any tips on where to get them would be appreciated. For the most part I'm only concerned with Ontario:

- driving direcdtions for GTA would be nice (I still get lost downtown) plus the Ottawa region would be great.

- Of course enough detail to find some lakes and camping spots throughout ontario (south/central) - say Toronto - Algonquin - Ottawa areas? While detailed marine maps would be cool I gather they're really expensive - are there topo maps that will show me where I am at least if not all the structure info and what not?

- North West Ontario - I spend at least a couple weeks up there with a regular bunch of guys and we're always looking to try new fishing and camping spots. Places like Quetico, Lac des Milles Lac, Lake Nipigon, etc.

Any and all advice is always welcome

Thanks a bunch

Sean

Yup, the GPS units are not really that expensive, you get ripped on the software for sure. Well, maybe not, someone has had to put all that data together, and should be compensated for it.

I own a Garmin V, my bud owns the map76. The software for topograpic maps is almost 200 bucks, but covers a huge area for ontario. Mine was a package deal, which came with city maps, mount for vehicle, and a few other things like the pc interface cable. I had to buy the topo cd extra. But, it was worth it.

Mine does not accept chips, or cards, for marine use, not sure if the map76CSx does either. But whatever GPS you buy, you will have to pay for the extra software for topo, marine, whatever. And, its not cheap.

Is it worth it, you have to decide that. The topo cd I bought was definately worth the money for what I use my GPS for. I don't have the need for using it for navigation in cities, looking for hotels, ATM'S, starbucks, etc. lol.

I use the tom tom 700 unit and it is used for navigation on roads only. It has all of the detailed maps needed to get anywere in the US and Canada. It comes preloaded with the maps for all driving areas including addresses and points of interest. The POI are not its strong point it is used to finding the best way to spacific places using just the address. Their are no marine or topo options for this unit and it is not built to be habd carried so it is most likely not the unit for you. On the boat I have a garmin 188 sounder unit with GPS it comes loaded with the most basic map of the world however unless you are running a really big boat you rarely need the amount of detail that is provided on the marine charts. You would do better buying paper charts of the areas you fish and going from their.

Art

Thanks guys, I'm beginning to think that something like a tomtom or other 'driving direction' gps seperate from the 'camping/fishing' one might be th way to go. For what they cost these days and the fact that they come with the roads and spoken driving directions as well as other car friendly features it just miakes more sense to have one device thats great for the outdoors and one thats great for the car. With the driving maps being close to $200 and a tomtom running $300 it might be the way to go.

Come on tax rebate, daddy needs new toys!

I am in the market for that exact same unit. I wouldn't say the costs are hidden, and it's no big deal to figure out what you need. I think the unit comes with basic topographic information/streets built-in.

For me personally, I want the hydrographic chart information for discovering new waters as well as discovering new areas on known waters.

I feel for my needs at this time the following 2 maps will suit me just fine. ($215 U.S. per map chip, they way to go is to get the SD cards rather than CD-ROM since then you have to upload the maps to the SD card from your PC)

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/g2/card.jsp?sku=2US017R

and

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/g2/card.jsp?sku=2US019R

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyb

I hear you Tony. I'm still not clear as to what "exactly" ships with it but I'll be heading over to a store that can fill me in. For me I'm more interested in topo's then detailed hydro maps so probably this one:

Ontario Topo Chip - $90US

Then depending on what metro guide comes I'll get one of those as well (north american city guide or canadian metro guide).