Hydrographic Maps

Rich Clemens

I have picked up a Hydrographic map for the area around Lakair (chart 6038). As I look over the map, I can't find a 'key' to identify what all the symbols mean. Wondering if anyone has a link to a website where all these are defined. Been looking around this morning, but no luck yet.

Symbols such as ....

an asterisk

A plus sign with dots in it

Another one that looks like a music note with a squiggly line over top.

Various letters such as M, R, S, Cy

Numbers in parentheses ... such as (2)

(Very technical aren't I).

I may photo copy some of these areas around Lakair for June, but I need a little help in understanding what I'm lookin' at.

Thanks in advance for any help.

hi rich i can help you with some of those...a plussign is usually rocks just below the surface,..the letters are like m-mud c-clay looks like little trees al together weeds ...all those dots around the plus symbals mean rocks exposed out of the water...all the little squareas around the shoreline are cottages.......im at work but can give you more detailed info when i get home tonight....it just takes some getting used to reading and translating them

Hello Rich,

You need to Canadian Hydrographic Service's Chart number 1. It is a green book that has all of the information that is included on every Canadian Hydrographic Nautical Charts.

You can download the PDF or view the html format on CHS site at:

http://www.charts.gc.ca/pub/en/products/Chart1/chart1.asp

Lots of information on the charts once you under stand all the symbols and abbreviations.

-s

Thanks much there eye-tracker - just downloaded the document. Thanks goodness I ain't on dial-up any more !!!!!

Sending you a PM also.

Oh yeah ... post number 1. Welcome to the community (The Ontario Fishing Community).

Edited by Rich Clemens