Sheffield 13'4 float rod warranty?

okumasheffield

Things always happen when least expected

My beloved Sheffield float rod just shattered on me today while rigging up splitshots on the shore

I would at leat to break my rod tip while fighting fish, slamming car doors or even stepping on it by accident

but definitely NOT when it was being setup!

After putting myself together, I quickly re-cast it back in the water and FISH ON!

the fish was not big but it was a fun battle with two less guides

Any information on claiming warranty and recommednation to rods with similiar action/power are most welcome!

Spend the money and get a decent rod. you don’t need to go crazy but bite the bullet and get something that will serve you well. I would buy a rainshadow rx7 or xst blank and build on that for a cheap but good custom . another option is get a Loomis frontier used ( seen one for 150) or a gl2 or gl3 used which are a lot more.

stay away low end rods that are poorly engineered and craftsmanship sucks.

Every good tradesman has good tools same goes for fisherman.

You dont have to bust the bank with a custom to have a decent rod.

I find Raven gear is a great bang for the buck. I have never had an issue with any of their stuff and seeing as I am broke 99 percent of the time (school does that) its a great option for me.

I have a IM6 13 and a half footer that is great. Cheap, tons of power when you need it and sturdy as anything else.

What??

You're not the president?!

Oh wait.. Your name is just your handle. Now I get!!

Don’t cheap out on the next one... tom can build you a sage.

Silvio, I'm actually in the market for a sage float rod blank.. Is there a blank in particular you would recommend?

Anyone know where I could acquire one also?!

I've decided that spinning for steel sucks!! Enough generalizing, time to specialize.

cheers

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

too bad on the broken rod, i can lend you my backup rod for opener..$40/day :lol:

highdrifter, go visit angling specialty..i saw Tom building a sage conversion for a customer a month ago...so im sure he can get the blanks if your really interested..but they are $$$$$

Tom at angling specialties had sage custom make him his own line of float rods I believe. there extremely nice rods and really high up there in every aspect. call tom at (905) 660-9707 tell him Silvio referred you to him he will treat you well. If I was getting a sage custom built it would be from tom hands down.

In regards to raven rods... I snapped my custom im6 like butter several times and there warranty sucks ( tom sent mine back the other day after sitting for a year) its setting me back 60 bones for a new tip keep in mind this is not the first time. there rods are not the lightest rod nor the best designed rods and very poor craftsmanship the im6 is junk and bends like a spaghetti that's been boiling for hours. Mike (MJL) had guides fall off from sliding the rod into the rod sock. Like I said rx7 or xst rainshadow blank plus getting it tied up will cost you less then $400 and your going to have a rod that will last you. you can keep buying $100- $250 float rods like I did before you realize you need something that will do the job right and last you and by the time you realized this you wasted a ton of money. You know what rod I fish and love it like a child I have 7 float rods sitting in my room now that I found a rod I like unfortunately the fear if breaking it has gotten to me and I am retiring it and replacing it with an xst.

Ps you can find a used rainshadow for dirt cheap let me know and all keep my eyes open.

Edit: Im8 raven are ok but still would consider something else.

Edited by silvio

Tom at angling specialties had sage custom make him his own line of float rods I believe. there extremely nice rods and really high up there in every aspect. call tom at (905) 660-9707 tell him Silvio referred you to him he will treat you well. If I was getting a sage custom built it would be from tom hands down.

In regards to raven rods... I snapped my custom im6 like butter several times and there warranty sucks ( tom sent mine back the other day after sitting for a year) its setting me back 60 bones for a new tip keep in mind this is not the first time. there rods are not the lightest rod nor the best designed rods and very poor craftsmanship the im6 is junk and bends like a spaghetti that's been boiling for hours. Mike (MJL) had guides fall off from sliding the rod into the rod sock. Like I said rx7 or xst rainshadow blank plus getting it tied up will cost you less then $400 and your going to have a rod that will last you. you can keep buying $100- $250 float rods like I did before you realize you need something that will do the job right and last you and by the time you realized this you wasted a ton of money. You know what rod I fish and love it like a child I have 7 float rods sitting in my room now that I found a rod I like unfortunately the fear if breaking it has gotten to me and I am retiring it and replacing it with an xst.

Ps you can find a used rainshadow for dirt cheap let me know and all keep my eyes open.

Edit: Im8 raven are ok but still would consider something else.

Interesting Sil,

I've got more expensive and 'better' rods than the Raven but my IM6 gets the nod 99 percent of the time. It has battled me over 40 Chromers since feb without so much as a hiccup, while I constantly get my ass kicked with a couple of the other sticks I have.

To each their own, I just can't bring myself to spend 400-1000 on a custom rod while I am paying 18K a year for school

Guest steel'n'esox
You dont have to bust the bank with a custom to have a decent rod.

I find Raven gear is a great bang for the buck. I have never had an issue with any of their stuff and seeing as I am broke 99 percent of the time (school does that) its a great option for me.

I have a IM6 13 and a half footer that is great. Cheap, tons of power when you need it and sturdy as anything else.

Im with kemp on that one you do not need 700 to 1000 dollar customs to get a good rod, it will not make you a better steelheader, the higher end blanks are lighter, and more sensitive but when running a float you dont need the sensitivity, the ravens are great rods, and I own the im6 13.6 3 piece as well, and use it 90% of the time. that rod is about 225.00, and the 14ft im8 will be about 280.00. The price for the highend blanks, loomis and sage, etc are the price that I built the whole rod for 15 years ago with those same sage and loomis blanks. Also if you want a custom if you cant get warranty strip off the guides off your okuma, and at least you wont have to buy the guides.

I never said he needs to blow 700-1000 for a rod did I? I was joking about the sage because he knows tom like I do. Like I said find someone who built on a rainshadow or a Loomis get it used and you'll pay the same or a bit more then a new raven. I've caught tons of fish on my im6 and to me its junk and a rod to use on opener that if I bang it off trees I laugh. just in the past 3 weeks I've hit uncountable numbers of bows including a few more tanks which I was prepared for.

Landing big fish fast so that they swim away unharmed.

DSCI0266.jpg

I probably could pee further I drink to many coffees on the way to the tribs. Bud if you like your im6 then I am happy for you but I personally think your St Croix has better action...maybe not power. Im6 does have some power but I find it to be sloppy. To each their own like you said.

Edited by silvio

If you’re looking for a new factory rod, I think St. Croix and Raven offer great value for the money – With Loomis Canada gone, there really isn’t a whole lot to choose from in terms of factory rods. In the last few weeks I met a few guys on the river who were playing around with Rapala float rods and they were saying it had a very sweet action for cheap.

I’m used to rods on the softer end of the spectrum so for me, the St Croix Wild River and the Raven IM6 seem OK. I think the IM8 has the best all-round action compared to the other Ravens.

I did have problems with the guides on my Raven IM9 breaking off. 7 of them snapped off at different times while I was: in the process of rigging up, dropping the rod sections into the rod sock and fighting fish. I think it had to do with the manufacturer grinding the titanium guide feet down too aggressively and over heating the frames. I stripped the guides off and saw that the guide feet were almost black where they were ground down. I’ve had similar issues with other titanium framed guides and now grind them down slowly with a hand file or my friends adjustable-speed grinder (I normally use a Dremel tool for stainless guides)

If you’re thinking of going for an inexpensive custom rod, a Rainshadow RX7 isn’t going to be a heck of a lot more than a factory Raven IM9.

At least you’ve got some time before opener to get yourself rigged up.

Hope this helps

Hi there,

I had a similar accident today as well. Last week I bought a $50 Red Wolf 10' 6" rod from Le Baron. I'm brand new to trout/steelhead/salmon fishing and I didn't want to drop some heavy bucks just in case I didn't like the style of fishing. So today I'm on the Credit and I attempted a distance cast into a pool and ... snap! The upper portion of the rod snapped off and ended my day. What are the chances of me getting my money back?

Ciao,

MJP

If you’re looking for a new factory rod, I think St. Croix and Raven offer great value for the money – With Loomis Canada gone, there really isn’t a whole lot to choose from in terms of factory rods. In the last few weeks I met a few guys on the river who were playing around with Rapala float rods and they were saying it had a very sweet action for cheap.

I’m used to rods on the softer end of the spectrum so for me, the St Croix Wild River and the Raven IM6 seem OK. I think the IM8 has the best all-round action compared to the other Ravens.

I did have problems with the guides on my Raven IM9 breaking off. 7 of them snapped off at different times while I was: in the process of rigging up, dropping the rod sections into the rod sock and fighting fish. I think it had to do with the manufacturer grinding the titanium guide feet down too aggressively and over heating the frames. I stripped the guides off and saw that the guide feet were almost black where they were ground down. I’ve had similar issues with other titanium framed guides and now grind them down slowly with a hand file or my friends adjustable-speed grinder (I normally use a Dremel tool for stainless guides)

If you’re thinking of going for an inexpensive custom rod, a Rainshadow RX7 isn’t going to be a heck of a lot more than a factory Raven IM9.

At least you’ve got some time before opener to get yourself rigged up.

Hope this helps

I assume the IM6 has different guides? Im saying this because I popped the insert out of the last guide the other day without busting any off while I was yanking a huge knot through them.

IDIOT.

I wonder why I do such stupid things...ah well a little crazy glue and the insert is good as new

I assume the IM6 has different guides? Im saying this because I popped the insert out of the last guide the other day without busting any off while I was yanking a huge knot through them.

IDIOT.

I wonder why I do such stupid things...ah well a little crazy glue and the insert is good as new

I’m fairly sure the IM6 has a different set of guides on it.

I bought my IM9 back in 2001. They were marketed to have Titanium framed SIC guides on them back then. When the first guide broke, I thought it was a freak accident. I ended up repairing the guides as they broke over the years. They all broke in the same spot where the 2 legs of the frame met the guide foot. In 2007, I replaced all of them except for the tip top with a set of Fuji SIC guides.

I’ve never been a fan of the smaller match style guides found on the factory Ravens or Loomis rods. I’ve done a fair number of repairs for my friends who ended up bending or breaking the small guides especially on the tip section – They also suck when you have to pick ice out of them too.