Keeping Minnows

huntervasili

Ok so I have a tank/filter all that stuff but the minnows are kinda dumb and get sucked onto the filter intake... what can I do... any ideas? as well how many minnows do you think i could keep in a 10 or 15 gallon tank, and 50 gallon tank? Thanks for any help.

Bill

hey bud, what works best for me... i stick in a 4litre plastic ice cream tube and stick them in my fridge. the cold temps keeps them for quite some time. initially a few will die but after that, most survive... i just went last week and had some left overs that i stuck in my fridge that are still up and swimming.

is there anyway you can put a filter type thing around the intake...like a screen or something....a netting...so the water can get thru but not the minnnows. I would say get some kind of netting and wrap around the filter tube intake and have a zip tie and tie it tight around the shaft...make sure the screening you use has larger holes as so it doesn't get a backup and allows the water to flow freely...hope this helps

Bill, for small fish in aquariums that I was running a power filter on...I used to use one of the plastic pint "boxes" that you'd get blueberries/strawberries/cherry tomatos in. Cut a hole just large enough to get the intake tube thru the side of it and then put the intake piece back on. The open side of the "box" goes against the glass..giving 5 sides of mesh to keep the fish well back from the intake tube.

Edited by irishfield

I have a few tricks up my sleeve! I had 14 aquariums in our 2 bedroom apt in Milton and then when we moved to a house you'd swear you walked into Aquarium services in my "furnace room" with over 30 tanks and guppy breeding ponds (1 x 6 lumber on edge to make a big box and lined with 6mil plastic vapour barrier) on the floor to feed my clown knifes in the 200 gallon tank thru the living room wall behind the bar. I breed and raised fish (Angels, various Cichlids and the rare Silver Scat occasion) that I sold to pet stores from Milton down to Oakville for spare pocket money back when. Guppies and swords as well...but most became "fish" food.

The advantage of that power filter is the oxygen it's putting into the water from the "water fall". Will more than double the minnows you can have in the tank compared to stagnant water.