Durham Region - Sun 15th

diggyj

Started the morning out at the Rouge River in Pickering at around 9:45am. It was a beautiful morning with the sun shining and it was beginning to get warm quickly. :D I was the only one out fishing, very surprised by that.

57948288.jpg

By diggyj, shot with DSC-W5 at 2009-03-15

Since I have never fished the Rouge before, I was unsure of where the good spots were for either Pike or Trout. I have never fished for river trout before so I decided to just continue casting cranks for pike. :roll:

55319009.jpg

Moved around a couple of times and casted from under the foot bridge up and down the shore. :roll:

17010506.jpg

Crossed the bridge and casted from the other side where the parking lot is. Some some rocks and thought it may have potential but i sonn learned that it was quite shallow and my crank was hitting bottom and dragging up debris.

27184377.jpg

Possibly Bass structure? :lol:

14811536.jpg

Water was very calm today.

48233719.jpg

Continued for over an hour but decided to relocate as I mentioned above, I never fished the Rouge before so I was out in left field and thought I would have a more productive day somewhere else. decided to leave just before 11am and made my way to Frenchman's

Got to Frenchman's at around 11:10am and saw some familiar faces. One of the regulars said he caught one so I thought the warmer weather and water temp would yield fish.

On my second cast I feel a hit and set the hook. To my amazement, after being there only for 5 minutes I land a really small guy. Caught it on the HJ-14 Firetiger. Took a quick pic as I was bringing him.

One thing I realized last year is that it is quite difficult to take pics when you are by yourself. If there are spectators around then taking pics is quite easy, you ask someone to do it for you.

49863884.jpg

This pike was probably only around 3 lbs, give or take. Quickly threw him back and was hoping that this would be the "HOT" day since it started out so fast. A couple of minutes later another guy brings a small one in using dead bait. Other than that didn't see anyone land anything all day. Been a slow week overall. :( This week, I spent between 2-3 hours on the water on each of the following days: last Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and today and only managed 1 fish. :evil:

Stayed until 2pm and in the 3 hours I spent on the water I caught 1, in less that 5 minutes(2 casts) and then just wet the lures for the remaining time. Was a very enjoyable morning as the weather was wicked. Really got warm down there and I actually rolled up the sleeves. Looked at all the beach bunnies walking by.

Dirk....

One thing I forgot to ask, are there PIKE in this part of the rouge? Trout?

Edited by diggyj

NICE dirk. I didn't get into any today though. So you're 1 in this week, and I'm at 0 this week.

Arrived at frenchman's at 4 or so, after you left and boy, the parking lot was completely full. Didn't even try your spot.