pike flies

spinnerdoc

that's a nice fly my friend..what kinda material is the black part? mine as you might have noticed are of similar patterns and colors bec they are what i have left over from last year i favor rabbit strips a lot and of course bucktails. the one with the white skirt produced for me last year.

kemper....my set up:

8rod and reel

8wt. forward, floating (scientific anglers, pike taper)

i use braided line as leader. i don't like the wire leaders

Thats cross cut rabbit strip for the black in front. Carefully folding a good marabou feather works in a pinch as well. The main thing I've noticed, the stinger hook is what I usually hook the fish on, so make sure thats secured to the front hook very well, and I use 50# mono to attach them for this fly. Great muskie fly as well. I should also mention the fly in that picture is 8 inches long as well. Tie em about 12 inches if you are targeting muskie. Your first few casts might seem like a squirrel flailing on the surface, but once wet they have some pretty wicked action.

Kemper, 7-10 wt rods. Same as what I would use for steelhead or salmon. I'd avoid any full flex rods tossing giant flies though....easy opportunity to chop your rod off at the cork. You wouldn't use the same fly rod nymphing for steelhead that you would tossing those things for pike or musky.

fish finder is right...try getting a rod a little on the stiffer side, these flies get heavy when they get wet.

i haven't put the stingers yet on my flies but i am planning to. i would imagine a lot of missed strikes if you didn't have em on flies as long as these

Thanks. i haven't played with rabbit fur yet. I have trouble finding it at a reasonable price. I have a short 8/9 weight i use with them. need to upgrade tho. It's toooo short. Makes for a lot easier packing, but i don't get the distance i want with it. However i dont really have the money for a new fly rod right now. I'm looking at shot guns and that will pretty much be the end of my spending for a while. Can't wait to get out tho.

-Dave

DSCF3332.jpg

rod is a st. croix imperial 9' 9 weight

DSCF3333.jpg

hers my lamson konic reel

DSCF3334.jpg

some of my "style" decevier patterns, the way i tie them the seem to get better action and a bigger profile there around 7-8"

DSCF3335.jpg

some bunny leaches and some saltwater flys i use for pike they work great by the way

DSCF3336.jpg

some dhalberg divers and mice

DSCF3337.jpg

some poppers and bunny strip flys

i tie all my own flys so if anone needs the patterns let me know