Winter Pike Fishing

young_one

Ive been ice fishing this Bay thats connected to a Great Lake for Pike without consistant success. :wallbash: I would like some help from you guys.

Deepest point in the Bay ~13 fow (close to the middle)

Ive caught most of my fish with with set-lines, quick strike rig with a single 1/4 split shot few inches above a live shiner minnow.

So far I find 7-10 fow seem to produce for me, but I see other anglers fishing the deepest point exclusively. I think there might be a tiny bit of current in this bay due to the movement of the great lake.

I once hooked a nice size pike using a William ice jig, so I guess every now and then the pike could be acive.

Any other productive tactics I should try? :Gonefishing:

I like jiging with one line and set line on the other, lure recommandation and how I should jig them?

Location?

Hammer handle

n505661706_1952826_6988795.jpg

Bigger pike (I should use a ruler next time, the 2 rods are very different in length)

n505661706_1952825_7947587.jpg

Dang a pike as long as the rod! Maybe I should have used shorter rods! Pike handle cold water pretty well and spawn early. I don`t ice fish but would be looking at deep edges near shallow spawning areas? Deep can be relative term, 6-8 feet of water with 3 or 4 close by?

Blade baits like a heddon sonar, silver buddy, jigging rapala that swims in a circle?

Live bait set up? my favorite was a worm sinker on the line( for chubs, big minnows) a good quality barrel swivel and a 12 -18 inch leader on the swivel. I varied the weight of the worm sinker to try and keep the bait down at the level I wanted it to be at. A big chub could still bring it up but wouldn`t stay up.

Big bait big fish, can`t picture using a 6-8 inch chub or shiner on that rod though. Again not an ice angler.