finally did the one stop this wk-end

BUSTER

well finally did the hunter safety and firearms course this entire wk-end just got home,

got 98% practical firearm

96% written firearm

92% written hunting

MY advice to anyone thinking about taking this course is to buy the manual read it and take the test, it WASN'T worth the 290 bucks and a wk-end away from the wife and kids, anyone with a head on their shoulders could have read the manuals and tried the test for a small fraction of the price. kind of like reading the manual and doing your driving test or going to young drivers and paying a load of cash to test drive for awile first, some need it...but if your the read the manual do the driving test type of person do the same with this course!! :thumbsup_anim:

i did the hunter\safety course in a different environment. this was a few years ago ,, i think it was over 8 or 10 weeks at a retired

gents home. for an hour each week i got to sit and chat about hunting situations with 6 other guys and a very knowledgeable course provider who seemed very interested in our understanding of course material ,,but went even further into ethics and

other fundamentals. i had already been hunting for many years with my dad but still got a lot out of this course that has stayed with me 'til today.

met a great guy ,, got a lot out each week . the stories and a cup of tea were sometimes the best part. a $100 was a bargain.

walked the MNR tests,, although he's no longer with us ,,thanks harry!

Edited by waterwolf

Congrats, and welcome to the world of hunting. Now, from sept-dec, your rods will gather dust. You will also spend all your hard earned $ on new gear to get set up :)

When I did mine, we did it at a rod and gun club. It was over a weekend, but we got to shoot trap with a 12ga and shoot rifles in the range. It was a great course, and I think it was only $145 at the time.

Do you even get to shoot a gun nowadays?

They pretty much "make" you pass from what I hear.

Sinker

I strongly disagree with just reading the manual for the firearms course, espetialy for the younger video game generation kids whove learned all they know about guns from Grand Theft Auto. Ive felt pretty scared at times putting a shotgun into the hands of someone who thinks theyre in a video game when shooting targets, even though I was right beside them. I think the course teaches a higher level of respect and most of all SAFETY for firearms compared to a book.

The hunting course I could care less about in class. As long as your generally familiar with the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act and others, and you know how to read the general regulations and ID species, pay 30 bucks for the test.

if you havent seen or touched a firearm in your life take the course, but for some other folk they teach you nothing thats not in the manual? or a friend with a firearm couldnt show you in a home enviroment. it takes soooo long because the instructor lets everyone play with the firearms for a reasonable amount of time loading and un-loading fake ammo. i could have did all that at my fathers or brothers or friends house, and challenged the test, no live fire happend but in the 90's i did the hunter course(lost proof i took it thats why i had to do it again and MNR said they couldnt find proof in their records) and in the 90's we went to the range a fired live rounds from any firearm of choice be it shotgun or rifle or even muzzle load, but i suppose today its all simulation

course was

friday 5-10pm

sat 8-7pm

sun 8-7pm

cost 290 bucks

not worth the money or time, maybe if i was a video game kid with nothing else better to do i could sit there for the wk-end and my parents were paying ya i do the time, but iam married with kids and that was a long long day in a classroom setting with 15-20 people eating ,farting,burping!

all i was saying in the first post was if you think you can challenge the test and pass after reading the manual than GO FOR IT and put the cash in your pocket, but again some people need to drive a car with someone for awhile before they do the drivers test,some dont.

and sinker yes iam already drooling over moose rifles! is october here yet? whats taking soo long :whistling:

Edited by BUSTER