Robotic migwelders

misfish

Afternoon all.

For the past 2 years now I have been givien the task of setting up our one and only robot mig welder.

I had no knowledge of it.s operation,but have seem to beable to make it work.No issues til know.

My problem is penetration.

For some reason I can penetrate the stud thats to be welded to the part,but as for the part,Im having issues.If I do a push out test of the stud,it passes the requirements.well 0ver 1200 pounds.

Im trying to reach a penetration of.15 of a milimeter in the part itself..

My settings are

amps 210 volts 16 and gun speed 80

Crater

amps 180 volts 15.5

I have pulse aswell.I checked that.

The weld is awesome looking but I need that .15 like I said to meet the customers standards.

The robot is a panisonic

Edited by misfish

i haven't done this in over 10 years, and i'm sick so my mind might be a bit rusty. how are the leg lengths of the welds? do they meet print? did you have penetration into the part previously? what kind of materials are we looking at? have the specs recently changed on the materials? (ie, has the chemical composition changed in the last couple of lots?)

my first suggestion would be to change the angle of the head to point more towards the part. this should give you better penetration into the part and less penetration into the stud.

i haven't done this in over 10 years, and i'm sick so my mind might be a bit rusty. how are the leg lengths of the welds? do they meet print? did you have penetration into the part previously? what kind of materials are we looking at? have the specs recently changed on the materials? (ie, has the chemical composition changed in the last couple of lots?)

my first suggestion would be to change the angle of the head to point more towards the part. this should give you better penetration into the part and less penetration into the stud.

Thanks JayZ for your reply.

The material is HSLC (high strenght low carbon) for you that have been following this afternoon. :whistling: .As for the angle of the gun it is correct and when Im welding the part,I am pushing the weld onto the part into the stud. like I said,the stud is well penitrated.The weld lenght is 17 mm,basiically 2 welds at 90 degrees to each other.1.5 inch in dia.

This is a new material for us. The gas Im using is 98% argon,8% co2.

I was wondering if going 90/10 would make a differenece.

I dont want to increase the amps as this will just burn the heck out of the stud head and make the metal week.

I am in the process of trying to find out the nickle content and also if there are nitrites in the metal.

Thanks again for your reply.

Ok children,come and play. :P:lol:

Edited by misfish

has anyone been messing with the speed settings? i know back in the day, the operators would bump up the speed to 120% just to make target quicker. every situation is a bit different, so it usually takes some fine tuning to get things right. you've been doing this for a few years with no problems, so my first question would be to find out what has changed. in the meantime, you probably need to make some production parts. try running the robot at 80% and see how the penetration changes.

my experiences were more with abb robots, but in the end, mig welding is all the same.

has anyone been messing with the speed settings? i know back in the day, the operators would bump up the speed to 120% just to make target quicker. every situation is a bit different, so it usually takes some fine tuning to get things right. you've been doing this for a few years with no problems, so my first question would be to find out what has changed. in the meantime, you probably need to make some production parts. try running the robot at 80% and see how the penetration changes.

my experiences were more with abb robots, but in the end, mig welding is all the same.

No one has the key to the controller but myself and the computer tech guy.

We both work close together on this, so we both know whats what.

As for the speed,like I said,it,s at

amps 210 volts 16 and gun speed 0.80

Crater

amps 180 volts 15.5

If Im correct in what I have read,the 0.80 movement is, meters per min.

The volts is really the speed of the wire. Took me alot of time to explain this to the engineer. Like they say,I "R" one.LOL

I talked tonight to a friend and he is incharge of the Honda robots and is going to send his outside contact over to see me this week.

The parts were doing right now are all for PPAP. Full blown production is not expected to start until late July August.

I would post a pic of the item/weld,but that would be against company policy.

Trust me when I say.The weld is perfect. If I do it on another material,it got penetration. No problem.

I have even cut and itched other parts this week just to comfirm,and they are perfect.

Thanks again.

Brian

is the plate heat treated by any chance?

when i said run the robot at 80%, what i meant was run the speed of the gun slower, keeping all other things the same. that should allow more heat into the plate, which would then give better penetration.

a picture would be great, but i know all about the proprietary hoopla in the automotive industry. it is good that you are getting someone to come look at the robot and set-up. always best to call in the experts.

just a side note, but i design automated machinery and tooling, so if you need any help with anything feel free to give me a shout.

www.zawalyengineering.com