Simcoe Virginia Beach Report

ozaibak1

Hi, was at Simcoe last weekend near Cook's bay, literally managed 1 perch all day, better than 3/5 in the group who got 0 fish that day. Today was revenge, went back to the hut I rent from usually now, fished alone as my buddy was 'sick.' He didn't heed my recommendation of garlic last week, and ended up getting sick again.

What sucked last week was it was 30ft deep and I couldn't see squat, this time I could. The perch were fairly active, caught about 5 nice sized jumbos, with about 30 more keepers that have been fried deeply.

I was also here for pike, bear in mind that the conditions are still slow, I may have gotten lucky. After a washroom break, I came back, and all the perch were gone! This was weird as the fish had been there since the start of the morning, about 3 hours prior. I drop my lure in, a gold swedish pimple tipped with a minnow.

In moves mr. pike! It was a bit bigger than the one my friend had caught here 2 weeks ago, I'm not good with estimating pike, I would say possibly pushing 6 pounds? It was a nice size for sure. It went right up to the bait, like an inch away, I didn't move the bait, it didn't take it and swam away. Somewhat dissapointing in that it wuda been my first pike and a nice one at that, but very happy to actually see one.

I heard the fishings been tough on Simcoe recently, but I had a good day, and I'm thankful, will see what Monday holds.

Saw some people in the morning havin an irish coffee, they were goin for perch during the day, then whitefish at night, wonder how they're doin! Well hopefully on Monday I will have another good day and perhaps some pictures to go along, I would attach the crisped fish but I dont want to make anyone jealous or hungry, for now!

Edited by Bass Killer

Wanted to add something. I also saw a nice sized catfish, at least 3 pounds cruising. I also saw what looked to be as big as a small lobster, crayfish possibly? Crab? It sure looked like a BIG crab, I don't think crayfish can reach that size this thing was at least 3/4 pnd, colored orange, walking along the bottom, anyone know what it could be?

Nothing wrong with that! This is my first year icefishing, I've been at the same outfitter for about 4 trips, but spent 1 trip with a different one near LeFroy. Now the one at LeFroy was about 30ft deep, and I caught one perch the entire day there, it must of been a bad fishing day. The other outfitter who I've been to 4 times this year is between 8-12 ft deep for perch.

It may be that I'm a beginner, but I find being able to see the perch is a huge advantage. Like on Saturday I was able to screen out for only bigger perch because I could see every single fish down there. Being able to see them is a huge advantage to a icefishing beginner like me, and I also find being able to see the fish much more entertaining.

However, in 30ft of water I'd say you cut down on the likelihood of catching smaller perch, and sticking with the bigger ones. Not always, but I believe its true in general, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

This place I fished on Saturday seemed to be a 10ft sand flat situated right around a bunch of weed beds, I saw a nice diversity of fish that day! In addition to the many perch, 2 pikes (1 was about 4 pnds, not the 6 I previously estimated after seeing a bunch of pike pictures), and a new one for me... a HUGE catfish! This thing was massive, I'm not too good with catfish I know I caught a bullhead on Simcoe once before, but this catfish was BIG. By BIG, I mean at least 4pnds, it was about as big a fish that I've ever seen personally from a lake...

It was a sunny day, but I did well compared to the rest, I caught all the big oerch that I spotted which was quite a thrill, too bad they didn't visit the area more often. I'm going tmrw as well, that will be the 2nd time in 3 days, which is what I wish to do my whole life (fish all the time).