nettogami lake cochrane air????

jnic

I was there last year in the same camp with my son. My memory card crapped out so none of my pictures turned out, but for pictures to Air Cochrane trips of the past you can check out my blog at http://springcrappie.blogspot.com/

In terms of the fish on the lake....lots of walleye on white Mister Twister jigs and Fish Tek AfterShocks

There are lots of Blue Pike...kinda cool as I had never seen one till I fished this lake. Whitefish in the evening can be caught on poppers or weightless jigs.

There are two deep holes, one on the north end and the south end....but the walleye tend to be a ridiculously easy catch in "Moose Bay" where all the reeds are.

If this is your first fly-in trip to Canada I can offer more insight....bring lots of breadcrumbs as you will eat walleye morning noon and night.

Never been to Nettogami Lake before but you cannot go wrong with Cochrane Air. At least that has been my experience. Last year we were at Mikwam and the white Gulp Minnow Grub seemed to out fish everything else for the walleye. Williams spoons, buzzbaits and spinnerbaits worked well for the pike. Been to Floodwood and Mikwam in the past and will be at Mikwam again this year at the end of June. Looks like Bapthorpe has some good advice for you, might have to get a few of those Aftershocks to try myself. ;) Enjoy your trip!

Good info on the grubs....I would not have thought of them. I went to Mikwam a few years ago and the weather was the wildest of my 6 trips with Air Cochrane....50 degree swing in temperature in 24hrs?!? The walleye seemed to be smaller than at Nettogami, but the river fishing on Mikwam was a blast and the sturgeon at dusk were fun.

Nettogami has some pretty serious water. Two of the six days on the peninsula was too rough to get the boats to the south end....3 foot+ rollers...the cabin was pretty typical with a great view of the lake as it sits atop a hill/bank.

sand was good, best pic fishing i have had, 4 days two guys and probably around 800 pic. but we had the perfect weather, wind, sun. the pilot said everyone did well. i would probably not go back to that lake. all the pike were small, nothing over 4 pounds.

The tricky part about fishing this water is using relatively small jigs on the walleye/perch, hooking a pike, and having the line break. Another group on the lake when we were there had steel leaders hooked directly to their jigs...but I was thinking there might be a better solution....maybe fluorocarbon leaders on braided line? Any thoughts or experiences to share on that?

The large pike were in the deeper water and walleye were in 6'-8' when we were at Nettogami. The north river was very shallow and did not seem to contain much fish...the southern river was much deeper and had fish, but it was not as navigable as the Mikwam River..

I fished Nettogami a number of years ago, stayed at the peninsula camp.

It was "okay". Not spectacular but very good.

What was spectacular was Piyagoskogau lake which we were easily able to navigate into via the river at the north end of Nettogami.

A short ways up it splits. The left fork wasn't navigable but the right fork was. Very scenic boat ride as well.

TONS of walleye, ridiculous amounts actually.

Here's a map to show what I'm talking about:

nettogami.gif

beerman I've fished Yesterday as well if you want some info...

Cheers, Mike

Wow, interesting stuff Mike...I was told that Piyagoskogau lake was only 2-4 feet deep.....vast in size, but extremely shallow...you have my curiosity peaked....the stream was too shallow for us to get a boat very far up that stream towards Piyagoskogau lake...does it get deeper? Were the walleye similar in size to those on Nettogami?

Wow, interesting stuff Mike...I was told that Piyagoskogau lake was only 2-4 feet deep.....vast in size, but extremely shallow...you have my curiosity peaked....the stream was too shallow for us to get a boat very far up that stream towards Piyagoskogau lake...does it get deeper? Were the walleye similar in size to those on Nettogami?

It wasn't too shallow when I was there, but then there's no such thing as too shallow when you're really motivated. ;)

Most of the lake was shallow, but certain areas (where the creek flows in) weren't.

None were big, 1-2lb's, maybe a handful 3ish, but quadruple headers non stop.

thanks for the info mike. i was told the same, it was all 3 feet. did you fish alot of pyagoskagua. did you get any big pike in nettogami or pyagoskogua. also, do you think the south end of nettogami is better fishing and can you get there from the north end camp. thanks again jnic

thanks for the info mike. i was told the same, it was all 3 feet. did you fish alot of pyagoskagua. did you get any big pike in nettogami or pyagoskogua. also, do you think the south end of nettogami is better fishing and can you get there from the north end camp. thanks again jnic

We spent 2 full days on Pyagosk, had shore lunches there each day. Walleye fishing was considerably better than Nettogami.

No big pike in either lake and we tried hard. Could have been a seasonal thing though. I'd imagine if you were there in late May/early June you'd do better for larger pike.

Goes without saying you'll be able to get to the south end of Nettogami, it is the same lake your outpost is on LOL!

We found fishing to be pretty consistent all over the lake.

Typical shallow, featureless James Bay lowland lake. Weedlines and reed points are key structure..

That is great about making it twice to that lake...did you snap any pictures? I bet the bugs were glad too see you :canadian:

In terms of the south end, we had 20-30 mph winds, I had my 12 year old son and it was a little too dicey for me on a couple of occasions to venture down to the south end. I had a similar experience in that there was plenty of walleye in the north end, and in fact I believe all the blue pike we caught were in the north end.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking in my notes on the our trip last year to Nettogami and the bay I referred to earlier as "Moose Bay" is actually called "Caribou Bay".

I also recalled that the other party on the lake was a great group of fishermen, coal miners, from Kentucky....led by a gentleman called "Linc" (Sp?) who had been going to Nettogami for over 20+ years. He shared stories related to the Indian trapping camp at the north end of the lake, the history of Lindberg's ownership of the properties before Air Cochrane came into ownership and I remember he said the small adjacent lake produced larger walleye, but total quantities were a lot less than Nettogami. I believe there is a boat already at this lake, but you have to portage a motor.

• 11 months later...
A followup to the fishing reports of Nettogami....last year on our trip my 14 year old son caught 2 42" and 1 44" northern pike. For pictures check out http://apthorpeoutdoors.blogspot.com/2009/...ogami-2009.html Once again the lures of choice were the dark Fish tek MSBs.

What a great story, it really deserves it's own thread. Nonetheless thanks for posting this!

Did your group head up the river and try Pyagosk?