Ice Racing

danc

Well it's finally warmed up enough to be able to leave the house for more than life's absolute necessities, so I went for a drive to the local ice races. These guys race every weekend on a local Lake Superior Bay. It was more of a photography outing than about the races. I wanted to see how fast of a shutter speed I could get with my 40-150 mm lens at full zoom. I also wanted to test the continuous auto focus and thought what better place to test it than a car race with fast moving subjects. I took about 250 shots and only about 10 weren't perfectly focused. I was totally impressed. I've never had to do such little post processing before either. Most shots were perfect right out of the camera (IMHO).

Here's a few samples.

ice2.jpg

ice6.jpg

ice8.jpg

ice3.jpg

ice9.jpg

ice10.jpg

That would be cool for the Temagami area. I remember back in the mid- 80's when rally organization "The Rally De Voyaguer". Then the cars would race to Wahnapite down Red Squirrel and back to the train station in the middle of town for maintenance. I remember the teams would have the parking lot covered in flood lights so they could work on the cars after dark. Sometimes past the bar closing at 1.a.m.

I have spent some time thinking of this kinda event for Temagami, but there is just not enough accomodations around here to support just one weekend of racing. Need sponsors to provide cash for winners for their expenses at the least.

Anyhow, that is cool and those are good pics. Formula 1 starts in 45 days. Can't wait.