Quick strike rigs

BigGuy

Hello to everyone on this board. ( new member )

I plan to take my son fishing this spring for pike. We will be using 5"-6" suckers/chub under a slip float.

I'd like to make my own quick strike rig using 40 lb. fluorocarbon leader material, and to comply with the regulations of "4 points only," a single hook for lip hooking and a treble for the dorsal fin.

For this size bait ( 5"-6" ) I'm guessing 1/0 single hook and #2 treble, but I'm not sure. What would you experienced Pike fisherman advise?

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

BigGuy

Hello to everyone on this board. ( new member )

I plan to take my son fishing this spring for pike. We will be using 5"-6" suckers/chub under a slip float.

I'd like to make my own quick strike rig using 40 lb. fluorocarbon leader material, and to comply with the regulations of "4 points only," a single hook for lip hooking and a treble for the dorsal fin.

For this size bait ( 5"-6" ) I'm guessing 1/0 single hook and #2 treble, but I'm not sure. What would you experienced Pike fisherman advise?

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

BigGuy

I'm guessing that it's still hook sizes that u are wondering about and alot of guys have different preferences on what they use and depends alot on the size of the bait, water clarity and how aggressive the Pike are.

A 1/0 to 3/0 size baitholder hook is in the right range but a #2 treble is a bit large and you'd prob be better off with a #4 or #6 treble since Pike can sometimes be picky especially in clear water.

Quick strike rigs are usually for dead bait but when u have live chubs, it's better to keep them alive and just put one large baitholder hook like a 3/0 through the back and maybe a small stinger treble near the tail. You keep the bait horizontal that way and they also stay alive alot longer.

:Gonefishing: