Centre Pin Newbie

baironhorse

Hi All

Was wondering if you pinners out there can help out this beginner. Tried pinning steelies last year and hit my first one.begginers luck i guess.. great fight different world from spinning...I want to be better prepared for this years opener and was wondering if you people can give me some pointers...Places to go where I can get away with a 13ft float rod besides hitting the credit along side half the population of Mississauaga :wallbash: ... I ve been to small L.Ontario tribs but I don't think I would make it to far with a 13ftr.. Any advise would be appreaciated...You can PM !

WIth Thanks and tight lines!

Hi All

Was wondering if you pinners out there can help out this beginner. Tried pinning steelies last year and hit my first one.begginers luck i guess.. great fight different world from spinning...I want to be better prepared for this years opener and was wondering if you people can give me some pointers...Places to go where I can get away with a 13ft float rod besides hitting the credit along side half the population of Mississauaga :wallbash: ... I ve been to small L.Ontario tribs but I don't think I would make it to far with a 13ftr.. Any advise would be appreaciated...You can PM !

WIth Thanks and tight lines!

Opener? The best spring steelheading happens long before the opener with late Feb to early April being roughly the peak time.

Personally by the opener I'm sick of catching steelhead. Besides which by then the water is warm, and the fish are pretty haggard and beat up from spawning....

With a couple of notable exceptions I'm more into brookies, pike and walleye at that time, but each to there own. :)

There's plenty of loooong stretches of river on the lower Credit that are incredible, especially in March. There's also fewer anglers on the river...

Most every trib has at least some water that's open year round. There's fantastic opportunities everywhere: Georgian Bay, Huron, Erie and of course Ontario.

Some trib's have very little water that's open to angling year round, some have sizable stretches.

Check the reg's for year round seasons in each zone and go check them out.

Time your trips to coincide with a mild spell or after a rain when the rivers have started to recede and clear.

That may not have been the answer you were looking for, but hope that helps anyway.

Edited by solopaddler

Firstly, you can fish almost anywhere with a 13 footer. I have a 10 and a half, 11 and a half and 12 and 13 and a half, but in late feb through march the biggest stick sees the action without fail on almost every trib.

The fish in the spring are full of fight, and strong as heck and with the higger current in the spring you need all the help you can get.

I got interrupted halfway through that post.

Also, what Solo said is very true (shhhhhh)

My favourite time to fish is from late february until early april. You will find them quite hungry and willing to take just about anything. The key is to find a river that you can get to relatively quickly and learn it. Learn every inch and what the fish want and when they want it. You will be surprised how this knowledge translates to other bodies of water.

I got into the pinning three years ago, after fishing since I was a little kid with my dad for trout. We were never really good at it, but caught the odd one to keep us interested. Since then I have spent countless hours learning the river near my house, and I know it like the back of my hand. This allows me to a) catch fish when alot of others cant and B) translate what I learned on other rivers.

hope this helps

kemper

Guest steel'n'esox

Im with solo and kemper on this one as well, its amazing how many people will ask in April if the steelhead are running yet, if you wait till then you have missed a ton of great oportunities. Feb to early April for the most consitant for numbers and big fish. This is guaranteed it happens every year, fall can also have its incredible fishing as well, but depends more on weather conditions and your willingness to travel to those favorable conditions. Know when the rivers clean(are fishable) in your area, after they blowout, and fish the right ones based on clarity. Dont fish the Dirt?

• 2 weeks later...

Check the exceptions within the regs, you'll find all the tribs you can handle.

One thing I learned is to consistently change your rig until you get it spot on. Sometimes depth is important, sometimes it's not. But there is a reason a certain set of people are consistently into the fish.

The soo rapids have open water year round. problem in feb. is -20....I miss steelheading can't wait til the open water. For now I have to fish em through the ice.

Put some miles on walking legal areas of the rivers. theres always a place to fish. and it wouldnt be any fun if you didnt tangle up in trees anyways. it makes hitting a fish much sweeter