diawa megaforce

pike slayer

hey guys, you probably seen one of my topics from before about what baitcast rod/reel combo i should get. i've seen the diawa megaforce reel around everywhere and it has the twitchin' bar that no other reel has. i've seen lots of good and bad reviews on this reel and i wanted to get the truth from ppl that i trust which is on here. so what are your thoughts guys?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...t20285&rid=

Edited by pike slayer

good for the price. rod i have no opinion on. it'll get the job done. but the reel, its not nearly the top of the line, but as far as cheaper reels go, this one is made well and performs well. but really, if u wanna get the most outta the reel, spend some more and buy a good quality reel. big difference in performance.

I actually used to OWN the MegaForce for about 2years before I sold it recently. (I wanted to upgrade my Artillery). Anyway, during that time; I literally had NO PROBLEMS with it. It was actually my 2nd Baitcaster I owned. At the time, when I wanted to get into using the Baitcaster, I didn't want to spend that much money. So, the 1st to REELS I got were the SHIMANO CALLISTO and the DAIWA MEGAFORCE (Both from LeBaron). BOTH ARE EXCELLENT for the price. It would cast & retrieve like a DREAM! Best part, They were EXTREMELY CHEAP!

About the Megaforce, The "Twitchin' Bar" isn't really anything special. Its literally a lever which, when pressed down; will retrieve the line for you. In essence, it can be used for "Finesse Fishing". Nothing really "Cool" about it, but I guess its Daiwa's way of reeling in "1st time users" of the Baitcaster.

Anyway,I would DEFINITELY RECOMMEND the MEGAFORCE (and the CALLISTO). Like I said, I had it for 2years, and it served me well - and I'm almost 99.9999% positive, if you got the Megaforce, you wouldn't be disappointed either.

I bought one for last season. I never used the twitchin bar, theres just no need for it. It was nice and smooth the first couple uses and it casts well. However after a few days of use it started to get worse and worse. Mine actually has to go back to Diawa. The twitchin bar engages on its own when i reel it, and sometimes actually totally locks up from time to time. I really dont recommend this reel. Go one step up and get a reel with an aluminum frame, not a plastic one like the megaforce. In fact if you can wait untill the spring sale at basspro, pick up one of their reels on sale. I bought a bps Rick Clunn 7.1:1 near the end of the season, and it is miles above the megaforce. Im actually gonna get another one regardless if they go on sale in spring or not. The bps extreme (green) reel is currently on sale i believe, and it is a much better reel than the megaforce, for the same price, mabey even a bit less. Dont get hung up on the twitchin bar, it does nothing that a twitch of the rod tip cant do.

hope this helps.