Deseronto/Long Reach (Quinte report)

Joeytier

We hopped in the truck from Whitby and arrived in Belleville to book a hotel. We had decided to fish the bridge at Deseronto, and found a solid 4-5 inches of ice with slush on top, due to the mild weather. We were set up by around 1, and into our first fish around 3 30. It was only on for about 2 seconds. :rolleyes: Approx. 45 minutes later I land a nice 2 1/2 pounder on a 1/2 oz Mr Champ tipped with two shiners. A while later we tie into a nice 4 pounder on an orange Swedish Pimple/shiner. There was a few fish being caught here and there, but seemed as though as it was slow for everyone.

The next morning we arrive at the same spot at dawn to much cooler temperatures and a strong wind. To our surprise, there was only 2 1/2 to 3 inches of ice where we were, and were forced to re-locate a bit closer to shore for thicker. We managed one caught (around 4 pounds) on a Mr Champ/shiner (again) and one lost.

Perhaps the most memorable (and certainly the scariest) part of the trip was when an ATV traveling out onto the water (the only ATV on the water no less), crashed through the thin ice. I turned around to see many guys yelling for ropes and the man on the ATV clinging to ice by his elbows. Thankfully, they were able to get him out and into a warm hut until the paramedics arrived. This is probably common knowledge to the majority of people who fish out there, but if you are fishing near the bridge at Deseronto, be VERY aware of ice conditions, and ONLY travel on foot.

After some lunch in Napanee, we headed down to Long Reach at around 12 30 to find MUCH safer ice, but even breezier conditions. Fished non-stop until 5 45, and only managed one fish around 4 pounds on, AGAIN, a Mr Champ/shiner.

Overall, the fishing was very slow and I can't help but be disappointed. I hope the guy that fell through the ice was ok.

IMG_0093.jpg

poor bugger. atv snorkling isn't a recognized sport yet . do the damn homework before heading out on it!!

atv's don't come free with a tank of gas ,, do they?

that's ugly ,, hope he's ok.

nice eyes that you did get ,, no complaints at meal-time i'm sure!

well done.

Edited by waterwolf

I had a scary trip out there one time too. Since then, I really make sure the ice is good before I go out in that area. I spud the whole way.......on foot only!!

Nice work on the fish!! I can't wait to get out there myself!!

Sinker