Niagra steelhead?

MarcusDiGiovanni

Howdy Ya'll :P

I hop all is well, I have to go to a hockey tournament next weekend and It's in Niagra Falls. Now, I wanna bring my fly rod down and maybe try for some steelhead. I have never fished there before, but I figure if i'm down there then i may aswell try. :Gonefishing: Does anyone know of any entry points that I can get too, I've also heard of the welland river as well and I think theres some others,I'm hoping too fish from shore as I havent gotten my waders yet. P.M me if u dont mind helpin out. Any info Is MUCH appreciated :clapping: Also I understand if you have spots that you dont wanna give away and thats fine. I'll talk too you later, Marcus. :canadian:

Welland River is frozen.....as far as fly fishing the Niagara, the gorge has been full of ice making it hard to fish..top water fly fishing will not work,it's simply not the presentation for the Niagara....if you have the gear you can drift with streamers for example if you can get your line down to the bottom....or float fish

You can try shooting Paul Castellano a PM (User name: Cast Adventures) for some info on what fly gear you might need. I've only fished the Niagara for steelhead in spring (float fishing) and from what I can gather, you probably should have some heavy sink tips or shooting heads and/or heavy shots on hand. One of my friends fly fishes the Niagara but uses a 14' 9wt spey rod the majority of the time matched with shooting heads. Not sure how much space there is for a backcast down in the gorge - You might have to learn to roll or spey cast before you go.

Edited by MJL

You can try shooting Paul Castellano a PM (User name: Cast Adventures) for some info on what fly gear you might need. I've only fished the Niagara for steelhead in spring (float fishing) and from what I can gather, you probably should have some heavy sink tips or shooting heads and/or heavy shots on hand. One of my friends fly fishes the Niagara but uses a 14' 9wt spey rod the majority of the time matched with shooting heads. Not sure how much space there is for a backcast down in the gorge - You might have to learn to roll or spey cast before you go.

That's a great suggestion, Paul does have some great experience with the fly rods on the Niagara both from shore and in the boat. I know just to change it up some times Paul will go out with the fly rods just for the adventure of it when he gets a day off from guiding, he also offers guided services from shore too. He is a great guy to spend time on and around the water with and always happy to lend a few pointers along the way. :Gonefishing:

I've been practicing pretty much everyday on the golf coarse behind my hosue and I can get a bout 40ft casts, I've had some help with some friends who've sent me videos and such. I heard you can attach split shots to floating line and it'll help it sink?, If all else fails i guess ill have too go out and get some sinking line or not go all together. :P