Small Camper Power Question

holdfast

I might be purchasing a small camper say 12ft. My questions are. For a battery power whats better, deep cycle? what can it power and for how long. Im thinking maybe lights in the trailer and a radio/CD player and fridge???????. Say I loose power is ther a way I can charge the battery with solar power( I always wondered about those affordable Canadian Tire panels) or is there another means. Im thinking that the trailer can use AC or DC. Basically on a weeknd with only battery Power how can I make it work?

Thanks

Two Interstate Deep Cycles fully charged last about 2 or 3 days dry camping with our motorhome. Lights kept to minimum where needed, exhaust fan ran when cooking, water pump for each use of water etc and on the cold nights running the furnace fan which is the big user. I would assume you'd have a propane fridge. Some still need a power input...but minimal for the control circuit.

I use to use one of those small 1 ' x 1' panels just to help maintain things during the day. A few years back I moved up to 2 of the 1' x 4 foot panels and when we did our trip to the West coast and back in 2004 we found we could go 4 or 5 days dry camping and that included a lot of furnace running at the 7800ASL of Yellowstone NPark.

Are you talking pop up or small self contained? In either case go deep cycle for longer lasting power. Now if your going to run a fridge, lights and CD/Radio without a charging system the fridge will be your biggest drain so look into electric/propane for the fridge and if no hydro is available run it on gas. Without this option you battery will not last more than approx 2 days as the fridge uses lots of amps to perform it's duty cycle. Most newer trailers are equipped with a 120 to 12v inverter which will have a charging freature so when you are plugged in it will charge the battery.

If I am going where there is no power I usually bring along my 1800 watt generator which has a battery charger built in. When we used to go to the Garden river I would run the fridge on propane, and the furnace fan ( only overnight ) and lights off a deep cycle. I could get 3 to 5 days depending on the draw but with the generator would top the battery up every two days.

I have had pop ups. trailers and truck campers for over 35 years so pm me with the specifics of your intended purchase and I may be able to give you more info.

Edited by Garyv