Frozen Hot Water Pipe in my house NF

pigeonfisher

Well, Bad news. The pipe froze again overnight. Wasn't even that cold out. Now I am more than a little bit surprised that the heat added into the area didn't solve the problem. I am wondering if it might be freezing closer to the sink.

almost as quickly as I found it was frozen it has unfrozn itelf.

This can't happen all the time as at some point I am just tempting fate. I will have to call in some small today to get near those pipes.

DANG

Hey PF, too bad about the pipe freezing again. If you live near Brooklin, I'd come take a look, but would it be a big problem to move the waterlines? If theres an adjoining bathroom or w/p going upstairs you may be able to put in a TEE and go through a wall or something. Not something to wake up to on a Saturday morning at any rate.

Just to add to what Daplumma is saying, not only is it the hot waterpipes that freeze first, but pipes on the NW corner of the house tend to freeze quicker than on other sides of the house. One thing that no-one has mentioned is sediment build up in the wp itself. Do you get good flow when the temps are above freezing? We had a guy call during the summer and the copper pipes were full almost to the point where there was almost zero water going through the pipes. Something to consider. I've only been plumbing now for 4yrs, so I'll never second guess what these other guys are saying. I haven't seen nearly as much...crap :blink: as they have.

As for last nights water test, I went to the store for ten minutes and when I came back both glasses were frozen.

Wall is the South East Wall...could certainly be sediment build up in the pipes. I need to flush them I think.

I got some small to come over, he is going to help me put some insulation along the back wall. I also threw a thermometer in there and get the digital reading from the kitchen. it is cold down there but not to bad.