Towing Question

sneak_e_pete

I saw the post on Tranny coolers and have a similar question, but thought I would start a new post.

I have an 04 Ford Freestar van that is rated to pull 2,000 lbs (as per owners manual). I have a small business that is growing and I need to get an enclosed trailer to haul equipment, but can't afford to buy a truck at this point. Is it possible to make the van capable of pulling say 3,000 to 3,500 lbs? The trailer weight alone is 1,400 lbs, so I am figuring on up to 1,600 to 2,100 pounds of gear. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Not possible. You can add tranny coolers and suspension enhancement but the weakest link is always still the weakest link. In this case mit may be the tranny or front drive axles. There are reason why the engineer rated it the way they did. and evwen if it where possible if you ever have an accident this would be considered an unsafe rig and you could have liability and insurance issues.

air bags on the rear , 110 load index tires and trans cooler maybe shift kit. bigger brakes or better brakes you can do it, my beef would be the long term idea , once in awhile is one thing but daily?? start with putting the trailer ona diet, maybe an open trailer frame with a custom tarp would save the weight instead of buying a full enclosed metal body?

Edited by BUSTER

A lot of vehicles say they can to xlbs of weight and in brackets will have "if trailer has brakes"

Here are 2 sites that are stating you can tow 3500lbs with a towing package. It does not mean that the van will last if it is towing all the time. Check with a Ford dealer.

Options for late-2004 models include a power liftgate and a Class II towing package ($335) that will boost the towing capacity from 2,000 pounds to 3,500 pounds

http://www.autobuyguide.com/2004/12-aut/fo...iews/index.html

http://www.cartest.ca/2004_ford_freestar.htm

forrest

Pulling that trailer will kill your Freestyle, and you'll be buying something else to pull the trailer with sooner than you think... and a family vehicle is just that!

You can make a family vehicle out of a work vehicle a lot better than the other way around.

Edited by GCD