Question for you Quebec / Pembrooke area folks...

Hey guys,

It looks like if everything works out well, we'll be spending a week at my Aunt and Uncles cottage this summer. (who are actually just really close friends of the family, but I call them Aunt and Uncle) I don't know the name any local towns on the quebec side, so I added a shot of google maps to this thread showing exactly where we'll be for the week....

camp.jpg

They've got 2 cottages on their property, my wife, kids and I will have the smaller one all to ourselves, and my parent's and aunt and uncle will be in the big one.

Here's our cottage.

SmallCottage.jpg

The View

Beach.jpg

I've been looking forward to spending some time on the water with my Uncle Harvey for a LONG LONG TIME now. He's more like a grandfather to me, seeing as the only grandfather I knew passed away when I was 5. I actually didn't even know we weren't "technically" related until I was a teenager! lol

Here's my old man and Uncle Harvey in a shot from last summer when I couldn't make the trip!

Fish.jpg

They're old school fisherman, my cousins and dad learned everything they know from my Uncle! Drag a minnow or worm around endlessly, catching whatever happens to bite. I'm more of a "sport fisherman" rarely keeping anything for the table, and I'm just wondering what species aside from bass and eye's are available in the area, and if you have any suggestions of what gear I should take along? No doubt, with a 2.5 year old and fresh baby, my wife will limit the amount of fishing gear I can pack into the truck! :whistling: Also, I was told that I don't need to get a quebec fishing liscense?

Thanks for any info you guys can dish out on the area! Not looking for any "hot-spots" or anything like that.

Cheers,

UF

As Far as I know unless it changed, you need a Quebec License if your fishing the Quebec side except the Ottawa River. As far as the Ottawa River thats a good Question. I know as an Ontario Resident my On License was good on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River unless it changed. As far as fish from the Ottawa R besides Bass. In that Area you got Northern Pike, Tons of Cat fish, Rarely but theyre there, Sturgeon, Gar Pike. Lots of Walleye. Apparently there is Musky, and Perch, but I rearly caught them. As far as Quebec area Lakes, I always wanted to fish them because there are lots, not Popular, and far as I was told from some Quebec Locals, Excellent trout Lakes. Dont forget Lac Beauchene is not far from where you would be. Read your Ontario Reqs for the Ottawa River just to be on the safe side.

UF you don't need to purchase a QC license to fish on the Ottawa in zone 25 which is the area that you are going. Here is a link to the MNR QC regs about that:

http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/publica...n-residents.asp

Like Holdfast mention, there is a wide variete of species of fish that you will be able to fish for.... here is the fishing periods and catch limit

http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/publica...nes/zone-25.asp

The closest towns on this side of the border that I know is Waltam and Fort Coulonge. Never been past Waltam and never had to opportunity to go fishing down there.... your uncles cottage is about 2.5 hours drive from where I live and from looking at the pics, the view of the river looks suberbe.

If you are planning on hitting some of the local lakes then you will be required to buy a QC license. You are allowed live bait in the O river. I'm sure that your uncle knows the hot spots in the area and he will be in a better position to point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps

Jacques aka Leechman

Hey guys

thanks alot! I think the closest town is waltam now that you mentioned them Jaques! And i'll only be fishing the Ottawa river system so its good to know that my wife and I wont need to buy licenses! I'll have to get your contact info and maybe you can make the trek down for a day on the water! Both my old mand and I will have our boats with us. I'm going to slam some smallies and eyes, but I've heard from alot of people other than holdfast, that the catfishing is awesome so I might give them a go for fun! I'll stick to trying for musky somewhere that they're more readily avail.

Anyways, heading to the bahamas this morning for some Bone Fish action, and hopefully a little fishing out in the open water to!! :thumbsup_anim: maybe when I get home there'll be enough ice to hit the pannies!

Cheers,

uf

Yeah UF, Cats are plentiful in the river and some get to impressive size.... The biggest I caught was 5lbs on medium action gear and what a blast that was :w00t:

I'll have to get your contact info and maybe you can make the trek down for a day on the water!

Sounds like a plan :thumbsup_anim:

Caught this Monster in the current of the Petawawa River where it Empties into the Ottawa across from the CFB Pet Golf Course. Big Sinker, Fish Guts, Bug Juice and Darkness was the flavour

thCAABEVA9.jpg

Holdfast do you a higher resolution picture of that monster cat? Would be nice to see :thumbsup_anim:

Congratulations :clapping:

Jacques

One of the Best fights I had. I usually never fish in the current as it is really strong I decided to give it a try with an oversize sinker and what was left of my sucker, mostly the insides. It took me and my Brother an hour to land him in my canoe. I had to use my gaff to lift him through the gills as not to hurt him and took the picture at my late dads place just up from shore and hopefully its still somewhere in the Pet or Ottawa Rivers