Build Your Own In-Line Spinners - Anyone out there with experience?!

rbaquial

Hey Again,

I've been thinking of making my own IN-LINE SPINNERS - more particularly with a BUCK-TAIL. Just curious if there is anyone out there that HAS EXPERIENCE in making these - and if so, what do I need? What tools and parts? Where can I find them?

Thanks!

Rob

Good morning Rob. There are a lot of folks in the OFC community making their own baits. Be they wire baits, hard baits, soft baits, jigs, leaders etc...and some of them are experts at it. I won't try to name any here because I'm sure I'll forget some.

One of the best places for you to start is one of our own sponsors, luremaking.com.

I've been dealing with them for quite some time and they never disappoint. Their website not only shows their most up to date components and tools catalogue but also the free downloadable Canadian Guide to Lure Making. Take a browse through it by clicking HERE!

I'm sure that other folks will chime in with other advice. Enjoy yourself, it's a great hobby.

I do,

actually if you can fish with it I probably make it. I can actually go trout fishing with a rod I spun, fishing a jig I tied and soon (hopefully) a pin that I designed. Its good to have friends that are machinists (sp)

I made some walleye spinners this spring, and caught quite a few eyes draggin the bottom of buckhorn lake!

Guest steel'n'esox

I tie my inline bucktails on a coil, which is just choke cable, usually 1.5 to 2 inches in length. the hole or centre of the cable must fit through the .062 wire. Start your bucktail at one end of the coil, in sections make sure you have enough hair to go around the coil, move up the coil and start another row of hair,either the same colour or a different colour, again making sure you have enough hair to complete the second row. You can add some feathers/hackle if you wish, keep going until the coil is covered. The advantage of the coil is if provides you with a bulky bucktail, and the coil allows for a real tight wrap. Bucktails can be weighted with egg sinkers in various weights. The holes in the egg sinker will more than fit through the wire. It took me a few attempts to tie the coil properly If I knew how to post pictures on the computer I could show you some of the finished products, making baits really shortens the winter Good luck

i tie them right on the treble hook, however i will try some on the coil as steel'n'esox mentioned, it sound like a good idea, esp when you have to cut hooks, this way you get to keep the bucktail untouched an just attach another hook.

the two spinner with big colorado blades were made by me, the parts:pack of already looped wires from ang spec i think it was pack of 50 for $5, beads, blades, clevices and trebles from bps.

here are mine

IMG_0636.jpg

Edited by efka

I make them also, in-lines and spinners for musky and pike.

The start up cost is quite considerable, but once you start making them, you only have to refresh your supply every so often.

I suggest you buy the Musky lure making kit from Luremakers.com (around $60) first and you will get enough supplies to make 6 lures. Then you'll know exactly what you need for in-lines and can order from the catalog after that. You can branch out to bucktail spinnerbaits after that.

Joey

Awesome information Joey!! Thank You!! :D

...Efka, I REALLY love the idea of how you went about organziging your tackle box of Spinners - Very innovative!! :D Why didn't I think of that?! :wallbash: IT'S GENIUS! :D - Wait a minute, when you close the box, don't the spinners touch causing it to tangle? or even more difficult to close? Or did you use that Pipe Insulation for display purposes?

Edited by Addikted2Fishin