Favourite Holiday meal

fishingisliving

I am big fan of beef, dry aged beef! I am treating my family to a dry aged Prime Rib Roast this year slow cooked to medium rare perfection "au jus" sauce on the side... with garlic n' cheese patatoes, buttered Scallops, fresh greens and a few bottles of Barolo.

this meal makes me forget about the gifts...

What are you cooking for the big holiday meal this year?

I have to agree with you, dry aged beef especially prime rib is the best roast out there.

I do something similar and recommend this for anyone else that likes prime rib. Get a Standing Rib Roast, it's the same as prime rib but still has the bone in it. MOST butchers have this cut of meat as a standard selection. Rub it with kosher salt, pepper and some garlic powder. Roast in the oven (can't remember the temp off hand) until it reaches between 138 -140 degrees. Let it rest for at least 1/2 hour and slice it so every piece has a bone in it or you can slice it thinner so every other piece has a bone in it. I REALLY believe that the bone adds a lot of flavor to the meat. If you remove the bone prior to cooking you have yourself a piece of prime rib ready to cook.

BTW I did a standing rib roast this past summer on a charcoal grill and it turn out the best roast I every did.

We will be dining on Christmas Eve in our home with a five course meal. Here is our menu for Wed.

* Fresh cooked Shrimp cocktail chilled on ice with homemade cocktail sauce. (if you never cooked raw shrimp and chilled it for shrimp cocktail you don't know what you are missing. The frozen already cooked shrimp is soft a mushy compared to cooking it yourself for only 5 minutes)

* Homemade mushroom soup

* Caesar Salad

* Slow Roasted Prime Rib with the bone still in (Standing Rib Roast)

*Chocolate moose for dessert

*** A nice nap to let all that food process so I can indulge in Christmas cookies later :)

Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy New on the water,

Bob