Some test shots

fishing n autograph

Well you're certainly on the right track here. Obviously you have an interest in photography and you're spending the time doing something that you like to do. There is a rather steep learning curve, and this is a good place to ask for opinions. There's some very talented photographers here that will gladly help you out. Let me start with a few of my opinions.

Most of your shots are pretty much underexposed. Which ironically is a good thing. The amount of detail that you can bring out from an underexposed photo is amazing with any decent photo editing software. If your shots were overexposed, the detail is never there to begin with, and the shot is lost forever.

Here's an example of what you can do with post processing (photo editing).

IMG_1416.jpg

I used a levels adjustment (which basically adjusts the exposure level of your shot) to bring out the detail, some sharpening, and added a touch of color saturation. I use these three adjustments for pretty much every photo that I post. In fact there's not one photo that I've ever posted that I don't apply at least these three adjustments.

Composition is another important element in photography. Once again, these can be rescued in post processing as well. The "rule of thirds" is a basic rule in photography that is very simple, but can add immense quality to your shot. Most of your photos have the subject front row center. The "rule of thirds" is simply dividing your photo into a 9 square grid, and placing the subject where one of the grid lines intersect. Although it's not a great example, I've used your pine cone in the snow shot to show what I mean. I've also used the above basic editing techniques to enhance the shot and bring out a little more detail.

IMG_1370.jpg

Here's a couple of shots of mine that might explain just what I'm talking about. Although the tent and the crow are the main subjects, they're not front row center.

tentglow.jpg

chipfog2.jpg

Another photography basic is to keep your horizon level. Once again, easily corrected in post processing. The tilted horizon in your beautiful lake scene really jumped out at me. I also cropped this shot because there's not much to the right side of the tree and its reflection worth keeping. There's no rule that says that your photo must maintain it's 4:3 ratio.

IMG_1188a.jpg

I hope that I haven't been too critical here. Although I'm no expert, I'm here to offer help/advice to anyone that asks, and only if I think that I can help when someone asks for it. As I said earlier, you seem to have the passion that it takes to become a better photographer. It was only a few short years ago that I was given these same basic lessons. Photography can be a hobby on its own, or it can go hand in hand with just about any other activity that you participate in. It most definitely fits right in there with fishing. I hope to see more of your contributions to the photography forum in the future FishnNAutographs. Thanks for posting..

Dan covered the 2 main things I would have commented on but for a first batch of photos I'd say your off to a real good start. The rule of thirds is one of the the key rules I discovered when I first started taking pictures. And now that I've learned the rule of thirds, I don't even think about it anymore.....just becomes part of pushing the shutter button.

Keep at it though. Really looking forward to seeing how you progress

DanC has given some good pointers. They are all things I learned this past year. I just started getting into photography exactly one year ago and it is a steep learning curve, almost every picture I take I look at a few days later and find things I might have been able to improve. I have noticed a huge progression in my photos but I am years away from being a good photographer, but it sure is fun and challenging.

Maybe someday we should hook up and snap some shots together, i'm sure we could learn alot.