Huts on Penetang Bay

motv8tr

I haven't no, I just moved here last year, and I'm still trying to decide if I like ice fishing or not :). Also I don't like to fish alone and with working all weekends it's hard to find someone t available to go on a weekday, who is also willing to put up with a newbie :D .

I did fish Midland bay with Photoz last year but had no luck catching anything. I have heard from a couple of the locals that the Herring is good during the first couple of weeks of ice, other than that I don't know anything about the area.

Maureen

I was down to the town dock today to have a look as well. Yes there are about a dozen huts out there. Don't let that fool you that the ice is safe...my son always says "there would be more people married in Penetang if it wasn't for that cousin law" ! Take your spud and check it yourself before venturing out.

Better know where you are walking in the area the huts are as well. At least 3 creeks come in to the lake right there...that rarely freeze even in the best of winters.

One look at Midland Harbour and I can tell you it's definitely not safe!

Hogs bay only froze over mid week last week..so BE CAREFUL. Was also + 2 C up here today according to my truck console.

Edited by irishfield

I guess the Herring are on the small size?

Maureen, the Ice fishing requires an investment in warm clothing.

If a person feels cold, there is no enjoyment.

Hey Clampet, I have no idea as to how big the Herring are, but I am told they are plentiful here. As for being warm, I have a floater suit and it seems to do the job very well....my biggest thing is I'm nervous on the ice, my first time on it was the year I held the first Fishing for Tyler...Lew and Raf might remember that, they found it pretty funny :D:P

Maureen