NF Trail Cams

Beats

I am in need of suggestions/recommendations for a model of trail cam to purchase. I am looking to buy a trail cam for my father for a Christmas present next month. He doesn't hunt whatsoever but his place backs onto 30 acres or so of trailed bush with deer, beavers, coyotes, mink, and sometimes turkeys. He is a nature lover and is constantly walking around back there, especially in the winter, following deer tracks and spotting them all over the place. I have been thinking for quite a while that a trail cam would be a fantastic gift for him. I don't think he even knows they exist.

I Pm'd Rickster a few weeks ago and he said he would recommend either the Bushnell Trail Scout or Stealth Cam that he uses. You can see the quality shots in his posts. Having seen that these cameras really do take great pics got me thinking more seriously about getting one. (thanks Rickster). I think I would like to buy a name brand camera that I know will stand up and that I won't get huge headaches in the event that something needs to be fixed. I think a 5+mp camera would be best for high quality shots. What I'm not sure about is the whole flash deal. Day shots need to be full color. That much I know. As for night shots.. There seems to be 2 options. Either normal flash or infrared flash. Some cams seem to take colour shots during both day and night and others take colour shots during the day but black and white pics at night. I guess the thinking is that a normal flash scares the animals off but I have been told that many times the animals don't run off after a normal flash and stick around for more pics! The idea of colour photos day and night sounds appealing. Short videos would be a cool thing as well, but not necessary.

I have no knowledge of these devices whatsoever. I have read many reviews of different models and it seems that the most major issue is short battery life. I have heard of brands like Bushnell before but some brands I haven't heard of before and they are getting good reviews, like Moultrie.

I was looking at ebay and found this camera: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-8MP-Infrared-Hunti...%3A1|240%3A1318

Sounds too good to be true and I didn't see any reviews of it...

Also, the Bushnell Trail Scout Pro, with 7mp shots and with 8 different game calls to attract animals.. don't know if that is just a gimmick or worthwhile. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

The cam wound probably be out for 24 hrs max at a time and checked/recharged. I assume good ones can stand up to an Ontario winter(?) Also, my Dad has absolutely no computer skills. Can't say he's ever touched a keyboard, so the idea of checking the pics on the unit itself or on a hand held device sounds good. Although, that is a minor consideration. Shouldn't be an issue to teach him to bring them up on a computer screen.

Anyone have suggestions or recommendations? Greatly appreciated.

moultree they take an excellent pic and are pretty affordable and bushnells eat through batteries one cold night and they are pooched!

Thx for the response. I was really hoping to get some winter use out of what ever I decide on.

My moultree gamespy 100 Stinks. Make sure you dont cheap out like I did. Though i knew cheaper was crappier but I didnt think it would be that crappy since it was a moultree and they are known for their good cameras.

Giving it on more try then i'm selling it.

My moultree gamespy 100 Stinks. Make sure you dont cheap out like I did. Though i knew cheaper was crappier but I didnt think it would be that crappy since it was a moultree and they are known for their good cameras.

Giving it on more try then i'm selling it.

This is partly why I need help deciding. I'll look at a good name brand and they will have 2 or 3 highly regarded models and then I see that they have a bunch that get horrible reviews. I don't want to buy a name brand piece of junk :)

although i like the pics my bushnell takes (color day and night with flash) i have to agree with BassAsin once it gets cold the bushnell just shuts down on me.

the stealth cam on the other hand is still taking pics

i am thinking of getting a moultrie this summer to add to the addiction

trust me

once you have one camera out it won't be long until you have two

and than three

and so on

and so on

rick