Sign in to follow this  
dp3200

Steelhead fishing in Bowmanville Creek

Anyone ever fish the mouth of Bowmanville creek for steelhead or salmon? If so, where? It looks kind of shallow to me. I know there is a decent run in the creek but not sure what it's like right out in the front. I've seen enough ugly salmon this year and want to get a few 'bows :)

I normally fish the Ganny but it is a zoo right now. Can't get a decent drift with those crowds. It will be especially bad the next few weeks when they close it North of the CN bridge.

Replies with specifics would be great....I haven't fished the Bowmanville creek much aside from a few spots further up the river.

Try the pier on the east side of the mouth. To get there exit 401 at Liberty, follow bend. Just before the bridge under the 401 turn right. Take 1st right go over tracks and past the marina to the end. There is a place to park at the end of this street walk out to the pier and start casting.

Make sure you have a LO O O N G handled net, it can be rough reachin' a fish there. I've never had a lotta luck there in the past few years, pretty hard to run a float or cast there, once the first rainbow has been caught . . . . all bottom bangers lined up. If you thought the Ganny was bad . . . . catch a 'bow at Bowmanville, and post a recognisable pic . . . .. . .