What do you read?

Zubris21

Well I don't know about any of you but I enjoy reading quite a bit. Usually just before bed. Although I enjoy reading just about anything, I sometimes find it hard to come across a really interesting book. My favorites are quite varied, but generally I enjoy outdoor and adventure theme books. The more real the better, and first hand experiences are the best. If anyone has any book suggestions I would love to hear them... here's a list of some of my most recent reads as well as some favorites.

The RA Expedition - Thor Heyerdahl - Only about a chapter in so can't say much, but I've enjoyed all the other books by him.

Merle's Door - Ted Kerasote - great book about man/dog companionship through travels in the grand teton mountains

In search of Moby Dick - Tim Severn - The author travels the fabled route of the Pequod to see if such a white whale could ever exist (surprisingly there are a lot of native tales/fables that depict white sperm whale and manta rays that are exceptionally large. Also spends time with a native tribe who hunt whale by jumping off a boat onto the whales back with a grappling hook - insane)

A Walk in The Woods - Bill Bryson - Recount of the authors travels along the Appalachian trail from Georgia to Main.

The Kon-Tiki Expedition - Thor Heyerdahl - Author an others build a balsa log raft and sail from South America to the Polynesian Islands.

Fatu Hiva - Thor Heyerdahl - After his wedding Him and his wife spend a year plus living on a random island in the polynesians, basically took a freighter till he found one he liked and said drop me off there. Its a recount of their existence there.

The lord of the rings series + the hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkein - Way, way better than the movies!

All Quiet on The Western Front - Erique Maria Remarque - Tale of a young soldiers struggle through WW1 and the horrors of war.

The life of Pi - Yann Martel - Fable about a young boy marooned at sea on a small dingy with a few companions including a tiger - really really easy but great read!

just a few of my favorites.. so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great... I think I might read the Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy soon as well, but haven't decided yet.

Good selection of titles. Usually end up reading LOTR every couple of years along with the Hobbitt. Forgot all about Heyerdahl's books. Been over 20 years.

My fave outdoor books are written by Prof. Sherwood Fox which detail much about the nature and history of the Bruce peninsula. OF course I'm a little biased. Grampa traipsed through the bush with him in the 30's and 40's. Close seconds are London or Mowat.

The nautical adventure is my relax reading. Duley Pope and the 'Ramage' series, Douglas Reeman and 'Richard Bolitho' or his modern naval adventures.

I'll bet you'd enjoy reading a book by Nathaniel Philbrick; "In The Heart Of The Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex." It's the real life sinking of a whaling ship that actually inspired "Moby Dick." The Herman Melville connection really amazed me!

A fantastic true story that's also quite tragic for the men who had to try to survive after their ship was sunk by the sperm whale. One of the best books I've ever read and I think you'd enjoy it as well.

I like to read just about anything I don't have a favorite author or genre... I like a story that is entertaining whether true or fiction. If it isn't entertaining then why bother? Here are some of my picks for a GOOD read in no particular order. To be on the list the book has to have been re-read at least 3 times LOL.

Ford the Men and their Machines by Robert Lacey it is just exactly what the title says....

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett a book about a couple of fictional familes along with the history of England and the Church circa 1100.... If you are a tradesman you might get more out of it.

The Stand by Stephen King just a great read.

The Bear and Dragon by Tom Clancy just has a more interesting plot than his other Jack Ryan novels in my opinion.

Honor thy Mother don't know the auhthor it is the true story of a son's quest to find out what happened to his mother....

The Alienist by Caleb Carr a book with a lot of history and interesting plot twists.

Those are just some of the ones that come to mind right away.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Thanks for the suggestions so far... I could of them I'm definitely going to try to dig up..

I read Into the Wild by Krakaur, and wasn't overly impressed. I though it was a good recount of "Alex'" travels, but I didn't really connect with all of the authors assumptions/thoughts. I think, the problem is that it wasn't a first hand account of the voyage, and rather someone following in footsteps, trying to piece things together.

Try anything from Jon Krakauer - I personally enjoyed Into The Wild and Into Thin Air.

intothe wild was the only book i read in the past 4 yrs.i picked it up and couldnt put it down,the subject reminded me of myself when i was younger.