French river delta

walleyebob

I'm planning a camping/ fishing trip to the french river on the georgian bay side the second week of september. Any tips or info on what to expect would be appreciated. Should the pickerel be running this time of year. I've always wanted to try fishing west of hwy 69 on the french hopefully it's good.

One word of caution, there are areas near Goergian Bay on the delta that are very technical and you can get into trouble in a hurry pending on how high the water level is so be carefull. Other than that theres some great walleye fishin to be had so good luck !!!!

Spent a week ion late september there a few years ago, managed eyes every day in the river mouth fast water but the fish from Geo Bay dont seem to show up till October.

Managed a 20 pound pike and 2 muskies one day in a far away back cove.

Still hard fishing as everything looks good but they only seem to be on a few spots for unkown reasons.

Exploring is the best part of it!

I've been fishing Georgian Bay near the mouth of the French (Georgian Bay Fishing Camp) since the late 70's. I've never fished there in the fall, but I've been told that the mouth of the French and into the French north to Dalles Rapids (only a 5-10 min boat ride from the mouth as it enters the bay) is the place to be. I would imagine that the Dalles Rapids are not crowded at all this time of year (it's a small area and can be hard to fish when there's alot of traffic). Anyway, if I was going that time of year that's where I would concentrate my efforts. Live bait rigs and jigs would probably be the ticket, as well as large Rapalas (7 inchers) and some fluttering bladebaits.

Hope this helps and good luck. One of the most beautiful and pristine areas I've ever fished. Ontario rules!

The Dallas rapids cannot be run from the French River Lodge down to the bay. However, the area above the rapids sometimes holds walleyes and it can be reached from FRL. It is about a 15 minute boat ride. If you check the map (Anne has them at the lodge), you will see an area called the elbow. That is where the entry to the Dallas is and the corner there is a good spot and if you continue on (stay to the left, as there are shoals just beneath the water on the right which are not passable in low water) there is another narrows with current water that sometimes holds walleye as well.

Edited by wmshaw

Some good spots for pike are Combie bay, cast on the edge of the weedlines, Thompson and Mary bay.

Thanks for the info WMSHAW. Do you recomend any other spots for Walleye and Pike in the French River Lodge area?

When you say the dalles rapids are impassable by boat , why are they ? Is it too shallow ? or is it just to fast and dangerous. I was going to bring a canoe as well as a 12 ft tinny, would it be possible with a canoe to shot the rapids or even string it along from shore?

My plan was to launch at at the hartley bay marinia and camp and explore the area for the week as well as fish. How would the fishing for pickerel below recollet falls be ? I only have a backroads book map of the area for now i figured that i could get a better map somewhere closer up there. I have no idea how much of the river is accessable from the hartely bay marina, i figure there has to be a few miles. I've fished dry pine bay in the ninety's and the fishing was just ok, i'm hoping this section is a little more remote and the fishing is a little Better.

One more question. I've fished for walleyes a quite a bit with limited success. Where should i be focusing on in the second week of september for them ? In the current , above below rapids. Or drop offs or in the shallows. I plan on bringing worms and minnows as well as some liver because im going to try night fishing for cat fish while i believe are there as well.

It will not be easy to get up to Recollect Falls by boat. Coming up from French River Lodge, you will have to naviate the rapids at the train bridge, and the Flat Rapids and another rapids above that. I have never made it up to the falls but I can tell you that the the Flat Rapids is extremely tricky especially in low water (many rocks and you have to get it right. Unless you have a local to guide you, I would not recommend running the Flat Rapids. You can also go down the bad river almost to Georgian Bay without much trouble. You can run the first two rapids without much of a problem. Do not try the third rapid, known as the Jump. There is a sign there that says no swimming and also warns of boat traffic. IT IS VERY DANGEROUS unless you know what you doing. If you boat down there and have a canoe, you can easily portage this rapid and the Jamison Rapids. I would not recommend running the Jamison rapid in high water -- too dangerous and the local guides will not run it. Most of the areas with current water hold walleye in the French. You can go down the main channel to Bass Lake but be carefull of rocks and shoals, there are a lot of them near the entrance to Bass Lake and some in the channel that are in the middle. If in doubt or you do not know the water, go slow.

You would be lucky to explore the Lower French in a week. There is over a fifty miles of boating accessible from Hartley Bay. You can also explore the Pickerel River system as well which empties the bay where French River Lodge is located and goes all the way up to Highway 69.

Bill

My plan was to launch at at the hartley bay marinia and camp and explore the area for the week as well as fish. How would the fishing for pickerel below recollet falls be ? I only have a backroads book map of the area for now i figured that i could get a better map somewhere closer up there. I have no idea how much of the river is accessable from the hartely bay marina, i figure there has to be a few miles. I've fished dry pine bay in the ninety's and the fishing was just ok, i'm hoping this section is a little more remote and the fishing is a little Better.