Sandy Lake info.

mizzmo

hello all

i have just rented a cottage on sandy lake (buckhorn). i was just wondering what species are located here?

i am suspecting smallmouth are there. we will be there toward the end of september. thank you

Mizzmo

Sandy lake has largemouth, smallmouth, walleye, panfish and some musky. It's an odd but pleasant little lake.

All the fish have a silver hue to them due to the lake bottom being covered in a white sediment from crushed snail shells.

Don't forget bluegills! We've pulled some dandies from there..

I've fished it many times, but we've found that the fishing was a little better on the West side of the lake, where the incline is steeper. Lots of small largies and bluegills on that side. If it's walleye or smallies you're after, try working white or black tubes on the East side of the lake.

If you google earth Buckhorn, this lake will stand out. The sand is white and the water is crystal clear, with a gorgeous turquoise hue. Also, you'll be able to see the differences in depth as you're looking over the water, so focus on the spots where light meets a deeper shade of blue.

Good luck!

HD