Nipissing South Bay

NDangler

Hi everyone. I guess technically I'm a newbie. I posted a couple times back in October, and I've finally got the chance to head up to Ontario in a couple weeks so I thought I'd check in and see how things are going. I'm heading up to the South Bay of Nipissing, staying on Jessup Island, with my dad and a couple buddies for a week of fishing. We used to fish South Bay from 1997-2000 and then switched to the West Arm and a couple other lakes in the states since then. Really looking forward to heading back to the South Bay though. I've heard that the water is a little deeper and cooler this year up there. How much are the water levels up? I've been checking the North Bay weather reports and looks like it might be a pretty cool week. Has anyone fished the South Bay recently? I was wondering if the cooler temps and higher water levels has moved some of the bigger pike into shallower weedbeds (ie fish bay and hunter's). The last time we fished South Bay we caught a few good pike on deep weed edges on the east shore. Just trying to figure out a game plan for the week. We're all catch and release fisherman except for maybe a couple walleye for a shore lunch one day. Mostly targeting muskie, pike and smallmouth. I'll definitely post a report when I get back. Also, if anyone wants it, I've started keeping a detailed log of where we fish, what we caught, lures, weather conditions, etc. that I'd be happy to send to anyone who fishes this area often. Just send me a pm. Also, if anyone will be fishing that area the week we are up there there will be 3 of us fishing out of a 17ft tracker (white/gray/blue). Feel free to say hi.

tight lines everyone!

Hey, i can't help much as i've only been there once myself, but when i was there last week i caught a few small mouth in meadow bay, i wasn't really fishing much as i had the whole family there, caught the bass casting to shore with wacky rigged senkos, a couple were 16-17ins, good luck.

oh and i lost something large on a reef northwest of meadow bay, i didnt get to see it, i was trolling for walleye and it hit on bottom, but it was a heavy fish for sure.

Edited by blarg

this smallie was from last month out of the south bay.

july11th2008nipissing014.jpg

As for pike, they are all over the lake but the bigger ones should be in deeper water if you want the best shot at them. Im not sure fish bay has water deeper then 10 feet?

I would venture out out of the south bay if i was really looking for big pike and musky. Smallies are all over the lake and last i heard (last week) fishing was a bit tougher but still very decent for smallies!

Cheers!

Guest Johnny Bass

Welcome to the board. South bay is great to fish, other than having to watch for all the shoals. The water levels are up all over Ontario, but weed growth as a result of colder weather and higher water levels are way down. The weed lines are not as defined as they should be.

I would imagine it is the same up there. But the fish are still around there usual haunts so you will probably do well. Good luck and looking forward to the report.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

blarg: good to hear about the smallmouth. I actually went out and bought some senkos with the intention of wacky rigging them. Never tried it before but looking forward to seeing how it goes.

lunkerbasshunter: Yeah, fish bay is fairly shallow and weedy. When we were looking for a place to stay back in June, Tom Rae Lodge said that the bay had been giving up a few big pike. My preliminary plan is deep weed lines and main lake shoals for pike and muskie. JI was just wondering if the cooler water sent some of the bigger northerns up into shallower bays. At any rate I'm just psyched for a week of relaxation. Good fishing would be a bonus!